New UA students welcomed at McKale Center

University of Arizona President Ann Weaver Hart speaks at the New Student Convocation on Sunday, Aug. 25, 2013.

At the New Student Convocation, UA President Ann Weaver Hart called upon students to innovate and apply the knowledge they learn to new settings.

In Hart’s opening remarks, she mistakenly welcomed more than 9,000 freshmen and transfer students to the University of New Hampshire, where she was president from 2002 to 2006. However, many students did not notice the slip and those who did said it was a human mistake.

“I know from personal experience, especially announcing in front of a huge crowd that I’ve made that mistake before,” said Andy Gonzalez, an economics senior. “It happens to everyone. Speaking in front of a large crowd is hard for anyone, whether it’s the president of the university or a student body president of the university.”

The ceremony was held in McKale Center and featured speakers who welcomed the newest Wildcats to campus. The class of 2017 is the most diverse class the university has seen, according to Melissa Vito, vice president of Student Affairs.

Some attendees said they were honored to join the rest of their fellow Wildcats as incoming members of the UA.

“Growing up in Tucson, you hear so much about the U of A,” said Kailee Economidis, a history freshman. “Everyone in Tucson loves the U of A, so I’ve always wanted to go here.”

After the ceremony there was a Convocation Celebration between McKale Center and Richard Jefferson Gym where students were taught by Wilbur, Wilma, the cheer team and the Pride of Arizona the cheers and traditions they’ll need to know for UA sporting events.

“I liked that the band and the cheerleaders showed us what we do at the games and explained that a little more,” Economidis said.

Students were moved back inside McKale where numerous clubs and organizations were scattered around handing out flyers and information. These clubs and organizations ranged from Sonora Student Fellowship to the Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority.

“We promise to change your lives. We won’t do it alone, in fact you’re going to do a lot of the work, but it’s teamwork and together,” said Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Andrew Comrie. “You’re going to be some of the best educated, most exciting, most innovated and can-do people in the world when you graduate from this university.”

Follow her at Twitter.com/_ShannonH_