Police Beat: December 5

Not just for notebooks

Two UA students were cited and released for alcohol violations on Nov. 22 at 10:30 p.m. at Park Avenue and Lowell Street. One of the students was also cited for a license violation.

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers were on Residence Life security detail when they saw the UA students walking south from Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall to the Metro Wildcat convenience store. One of the students was wearing an unzipped, empty backpack.

The officers waited outside the store and saw the students walk out with a full, zipped-up backpack. When the officers turned on their emergency lights, the student with the backpack kept walking east, while the other student headed north.

The officers stopped both students to talk to them. The student without a backpack admitted that there was beer in the other student’s backpack and told the officer that he paid for the beer, but his friend carried it to the counter. He said he didn’t see his friend show the clerk an ID but he assumed he did because the clerk sold them the beer.

The student with the backpack told another officer he was able to purchase the alcohol with a fake ID. The student gave the officer a fake Montana driver’s license and said he was actually 19 years old.

There were two 12-packs of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a six-pack of Bud Light Lime in the backpack, the student said.

Both students were cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol, and the student carrying the backpack was cited for having a fake driver’s license.

The officers poured out the two 12-packs and the six-pack.

Keeping it cool

Two UA students were cited and released for possession of marijuana at Santa Cruz Residence Hall on Sunday at 10:27 p.m.

A UAPD officer met with the RA on duty at Apache-Santa Cruz Residence Hall, who had been told one of the rooms smelled like burnt marijuana.

When they went to the reported room, one of the residents opened the door, and the officer asked to speak to him and his roommate.

The officer asked one of them if there was marijuana in the room, the student said, “Yeah, it’s in the fridge.”

He then opened the fridge and handed the officer a Ziploc bag with a small amount of marijuana inside.

The student said he had bought the marijuana for $10 from someone in Oro Valley and that it belonged to both him and his roommate.

His roommate confirmed this. They said they smoked with a friend in Oro Valley and they didn’t smoke any of the marijuana on campus.

Both students were cited and released and a code of conduct violation was forwarded to the Dean of Students Office for each of them. The marijuana was placed into UAPD evidence.

– Follow Stephanie Casanova @_scasanova_