W-hoops signs ex-Cat’s daughter

The Arizona women’s basketball program has added a familiar name for the 2007-08 season in Tasha Dickey.

Dickey, a 5-foot-10 guard, is the daughter of Charlie Dickey, who was a football player for the Wildcats from 1983-84 and coach from 1992 until 2003. Dickey is also following in the footsteps of her mother, formerly Lisa Bradshaw, who played for the Arizona women’s hoops team from 1983-85.

“”She is someone who is very familiar with our program and the university,”” UA head coach Joan Bonvicini said. “”Tasha is an outstanding athlete and a versatile player who will fit our style of play. I am proud to have her as a member of our Wildcat family.””

Dickey played her freshman year of high school in Tucson at Mountain View High School. After her father was fired, along with several other Arizona football coaches including head coach John Mackovic, the family moved to Washington, where Dickey played one season at Skyline High School.

The following year, the family moved again, this time to Salt Lake City, where her father is the offensive line coach at Utah.

Dickey averaged a double-double in her junior year, scoring 15 points and grabbing 12 rebounds per contest.

“”She’s a great athlete,”” Bonvicini said. “”People say they were born to be a Wildcat. She definitely was. She’ll do very well here.””

– Mike Ritter

Volleyball adds talented trio

Adding to a team full of solid young players but in the midst of a rebuilding season, the Arizona volleyball program signed three athletes to National Letters of Intent last week.

Setter Paige Weber, left-side hitter Tiffany Owens and 6-foot-4 middle blocker Stephanie Snow will report to Arizona in the fall.

Like this year’s recruiting class, UA head coach Dave Rubio expects these players to step in and find a role on the team.

“”The class addresses the needs of the team immediately,”” Rubio said. “”We feel really good about the class this year. They all have great talent and more importantly great character.””

Weber is expected to come in and make a direct impact her first year after leading Indianapolis Roncalli High School to a state championship.

“”Paige is going to come in and have an immediate impact on us,”” Rubio said. “”She is a terrific competitor, she has a terrific personality and she is going to give us a lot at the setter position.””

Rubio also said he is expecting big things from Owens, who plays for Rancho Valley Volleyball Club and Cajon High School in San Bernardino, Calif., and Snow, who attends Tempe’s Marcos de Niza High School.

“”Tiffany Owens is a fabulous athlete, just absolutely exceptional, and she will come in and compete for a starting spot immediately,”” he said. “”Stephanie Snow has a great work ethic and tons of potential.””

– Ari Wasserman

Decorated Choe is women’s golf’s lone recruit

The hits just keep on coming for the No. 13 Arizona women’s golf team. Head coach Greg Allen added arguably the most decorated recruit in the program’s history to his already loaded roster for the 2007-08 season.

Esther Choe, a senior at Cave Creek High School in Scottsdale, signed a National Letter of Intent Nov. 9. She is the No. 3 female golfer in the nation, according to the Golfweek/Titleist Junior Rankings.

“”Esther Choe is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, recruit we have ever signed,”” Allen said in a press release. “”In my opinion, Choe’s resume in her respective sport is as good as any resume of any athlete at Arizona.””

Choe has dominated high school golf in Arizona. She has already won the Class 4A girls’ state championship twice and is the favorite to win it again this year.

She was the 2004 British Junior Open champion and competed in the 2005 U.S. Women’s Open. Choe was one of two Rolex Junior Players of the Year for 2006.

“”We are excited to have her be part of the team next year because she brings so many good qualities on and off of the course to the team,”” Allen said. “”She is going to fit in nicely with what we have going.””

– Cameron Jones

Gymcats sign recruit for fall 2007

The Arizona gymnastics team signed Colleen Fisher, a senior at Vista Murrieta High School in Murrieta, Calif., to a National Letter of Intent, UA head coach Bill Ryden announced on Friday.

In 2005, Fisher, who will be eligible in fall 2007, was the Junior Olympic national all-around champion and regional floor champion. She was also a two-time champion in the state balance beam event in 2003 and 2005.

With the pending departure of seniors Aubrey Kelly and Jamie Holton next spring, Ryden said he has high expectations for the new recruit.

“”She certainly will step in and help the program,”” he said. “”That’s for sure.””

– Melissa Krueger