Schupan aiming to go out on high note

Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The Icecats fell to the No. 1 Lindenwood Lions 13-4 Friday night in the Tucson Convention Center.
Mike Christy
Mike Christy / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Icecats fell to the No. 1 Lindenwood Lions 13-4 Friday night in the Tucson Convention Center.

It’s just natural that Jordan Schupan would be leading the Icecats right now.

Shupan, a co-captain and one of three seniors, currently leads the team with 16 points this season on five goals and 11 assists in seven games. His career mark for points stands at 115.

However, it’s not personal stats that he cares about in his fourth and final year with the team. He wants to help power the Icecats to nationals for the first time since 2006.

Since joining the Icecats it’s been his biggest goal.

“”Each year my goal has been going to nationals and that hasn’t happened yet,”” Schupan said. “”We’re really looking to this year, but it’s going to take a lot of things coming together. It’s still the end goal.””

The Icecats went 22-8 in his first season but missed nationals. His sophomore season was forgettable after they finished 8-13. Arizona improved to 11-18 his junior year but still had a losing record.

However, Schupan said he had a blast with the team. He said the camaraderie has been great and it’s been incredible playing with guys from all over the country.

“”There have been some tough moments with injuries and some tough moments with losses, but overall it’s been an awesome experience,”” Schupan said. “”It’s really a hockey experience; I don’t think you can’t really find it anywhere else in the country.””

Schupan said the games against ASU are always unforgettable. His most memorable experience was his sophomore year when he took part in a come-from-behind win against the Sun Devils.

“”We ended up scoring a couple late goals to beat them in front of 6,000 fans,”” he said. “”Everyone was just going absolutely nuts. I was fortunate enough to have taken part in the last two goals.””

Arizona opened the season with two close losses at ASU, currently the No. 3 team in the country. The rivals will play six more times and UA will host four of those games. Nevertheless, it boosts the Icecats’ power ranking – something that Schupan said will be a big factor for nationals.

“”This year we have the strength of schedule between playing ASU, Minot State and Adrian College,”” he said. “”We’re excited because if we can go out and beat these teams then we’re going to have a good shot at going to nationals.””

He feels this team is unique in comparison to the past three.

“”As a senior it’s my fourth year and it’s really a different tone in the locker room than previous years,”” Schupan said. “”We really think we’ve got something special this year. We have a lot of talent and a lot of potential.””

Specifically, the team’s diversity is a big thing. At the same time, everyone on the team is very close which plays a big role in team dynamic according to Schupan.

“”I really think the mix of underclassmen and a few returners with experience,”” Schupan said. “”We have people that have played at high levels and everyone is expecting to win every time we step on the ice.””

Arizona is currently 3-4 but there are still more than 20 games left in the season. The team hasn’t had a home game yet.

“”We’ve started out with a few losses on this road trip and we’re really looking forward to being at home and showing what we really can do,”” Schupan said. “”We always talk about potential, and there is that potential, but it’s going to come down to what we actually do on the ice.””