Police Beat

Men jailed after trespassing in Coronado

Four men were taken to jail for trespassing Feb. 1 at 11:45 p.m.

Police were called to the Coronado residence hall in reference to six individuals trespassing. Police arrived and made contact with one of the men who trespassed. Another officer was interviewing two students when two more men walked into the building. The students pointed the men out, saying they were part of the six who had trespassed.

The two men the officer stopped admitted to being in the dorm. They said they were passing out flyers and putting them under the doors on several floors. The other man, who the officers stopped earlier, said he had been there with them, but had not passed anything out. All three of the men said they were in the dorms without an escort.

One of the men became agitated and uncooperative with police while he was being questioned. When he became too loud in the crowded lobby, police put him in handcuffs and escorted him out of the area.

The three men told officers that they were promoting a snowboarding exhibition that was taking place at the UA on Feb. 5. The man in charge of promotions for the event showed up on scene a short time later.

The man in charge told officers he never told his employees to enter the dorms or write on walls with chalk, which police believed the men had done. He told officers that they had used the chalk to make advertisements on the sidewalks around campus. He said he had given them permission to write on the sidewalks, but not to go into dorms or write on walls. The man also told officers there were 15 people on campus promoting the event. Police advised him to call all personnel and tell them to stay out of the UA dorms.

The man called all of the personnel to the dorm. When they arrived, one of the witnesses pointed out another man who she said had been in the dorm trespassing earlier. The man admitted to being in the dorm passing out flyers, but said that he did not write on any walls.

The chalk on walls and elevator doors was cleaned up. The on-duty Resident Assistant did not wish to press charges against the men for criminal damage. The four men were taken to the Pima County Jail where they were booked for criminal trespassing.

Minor with .333 BAC hospitalized, cited

A man was cited and released for being a minor in possession of alcohol Feb. 1 at 4:30 a.m.

Police responded to the Coronado residence hall in reference to a man who was intoxicated. When they arrived, they saw the man lying on the floor of a room. The residents of the room told officers that he knocked on their door, walked in and passed out. When he fell, he went backwards, striking his head on the floor.

Tucson Fire Department arrived on scene. They spent several minutes trying to get the man conscious enough to speak. He smelled strongly of intoxicants. He admitted to TFD that he had been drinking. He was taken to University Medical Center.

Officers went to UMC and cited the man for being a minor in possession of alcohol. His blood alcohol content was .333.

Professor contacts police after angry e-mails

A student was referred to the Dean of Student’s Office after sending unwarranted e-mails to a former teacher on Feb. 2 at 1.45 p.m.

Police responded to the Koffler building in response to a person receiving unwanted e-mails. When they arrived, they made contact with a teacher who said he had been receiving e-mails from a former student. The student was mad about the grade he received in the professor’s class in the fall semester. The student said things like the professor was “”biased”” against him and did not like him. They also questioned the professor’s integrity and said that he should try to make things right. The e-mail also said, “”You think you’re so tough. You don’t know what tough is.””

The professor said he did not tell the man to stop contacting him yet. Police advised him to do so. He was told to contact police if he received another e-mail.

The student was referred to the Dean of Student’s Office. The professor did not ask police to talk to the man, but said he wanted the incident documented.

Man throws coffee at abortion display

Police responded to the UA Mall Feb. 2 at 12:08 p.m.

A man who was with the people displaying pictures of aborted fetuses, said that a man had come by and thrown a cup of coffee on his billboards. Another man, who was with the group, said that the man was approximately 5-foot 10 inches with curly blonde hair. He asked officers to locate the man, who was walking toward Cherry Avenue.

Police looked for the man but did not find him. There are no suspects.

Former resident cited for trespassing

A student was cited and released for criminal trespassing Feb. 3 at 8:01 p.m.

Police responded to the Coronado residence hall in reference to a man trespassing. When they arrived, they made contact with the Hall Director who said that there was a man in the hall who had been a Coronado resident, but received a written notice to move out of the hall by Feb. 3. He was being transferred to Gila Hall because he had violated the dorm’s alcohol and noise rules. He was also restricted from visiting Coronado without prior written permission.

Police made contact with the student who said that he had received the notice, but chose to go to a Fiji pledge event rather than move everything out of his room.

Police cited and released the man for third degree criminal trespassing. He was then taken to his old room to clean out the remainder of his things. The Hall Director informed police that they wished to press charges.