UA Residence Hall Association to host No Frills for the first time

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Arizona Daily Wildcat Event chairmen ____ and ____ (reporter Kayla has names/titles) speak about the “No Frills” RHA conference happening this weekend on campus.

The UA Residence Hall Association will host a business conference on the UA campus for the first time this weekend.

The No Frills event is a business conference for all the residence hall associations in the Rocky Mountain Region of the Intermountain Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls, according to Shelby Deemer, conference co-chair and a business management junior. The region stretches from Arizona and New Mexico all the way up to Montana.

Around 120 delegates are expected to arrive for the conference Friday morning, Deemer said. The delegates will spend most of their time in “boardroom,” where they will discuss new legislation and additions to the IACURH constitution and bylaws, and elect the next year’s regional board.

“It’s called ‘No Frills’ because unlike our other conferences, there’s no spirit, no costumes,” Deemer said.

Though the UA has hosted other RHA conferences, this is the first time it has hosted the No Frills conference. Having the opportunity to host is a big occasion for the university’s RHA.

“It’s boosted our spirits,” Deemer said.

Anthony Salas, RHA vice president of public relations, said that hosting No Frills has gotten more students involved in RHA. The challenges of organizing a large event have also given students the opportunity to take on leadership roles.

“It’s definitely inspired our student leaders to strive for more and do more,” Salas said.

This year, the UA RHA is working on incorporating new features to add some fun to the conference, despite the fact that past No Frills conferences had few opportunities for entertainment.

“What we’re doing this year is something different that I don’t think any No Frills has done before,” said Caroline Shanholtz, the conference co-chair.

Conference staff have planned short “Minute to Win It”-style games for delegates to play during boardroom breaks. Shanholtz said she hopes they will help keep spirits high.

“It’s a way to get people up and out of their chairs,” Deemer said.

Conference staff also planned philanthropic activities with organizations like the Humane Society of Southern Arizona. They are encouraging delegates to donate items like collars, treats and toys to the nonprofit.

The Humane Society is bringing animals to greet the delegates as they arrive at their hotel and the delegates are welcome to play with the puppies and cats before boardroom.

However, the conference staff wants delegates to get involved beyond giving items or money, Shanholtz said. They want delegates to have hands-on involvement.

Soaringwords is the second philanthropy organization that will be present at the conference, as it will host an activity during boardroom in which delegates design their own superhero.

Soaringwords will then hang the pictures in the children’s wings of hospitals.

“This is something the delegates can do to really give back,” Shanholtz said.

Social media is the theme for this year’s No Frills conference, so delegates will be encouraged to tweet and Instagram during the conference.

The prominence of social media in society is one reason why it was chosen for the theme, according to Deemer. Shanholtz hopes to show other regions a successful conference through tweets about fun activities and Instagram pictures of the UA campus.

According to Deemer, RHA represents more than 6,300 students who live on campus. RHA advocates for students’ needs and fosters leaders on campus.

“We hope it’s the best No Frills that’s ever been put on because we are implementing so many different things,” Deemer said. “We’re trying to make it fun.”