Corps seeks a greater piece of campus

During the last six months, the UA Peace Corps recruitment office has seen a noticeable decrease in Peace Corps applications, according to recruiter and graduate student Aaron Hoholik.

Hoholik said he is not sure what brought about the decrease, but that he thinks the Peace Corps’ recent competitive standards may have discouraged some from completing the application process. What used to take nine to 12 months for an application is now taking 12 to 15 months, he said.

“Since the pool has gotten large over the last two years, Peace Corps headquarters has begun to look for applicants who have the skill set and the knowledge and the experience in order to fulfill the program areas,” Hoholik said.

The recruitment office hopes to attract more applicants at this semester’s study abroad fair, hosted by the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the UA Mall.

“We think (that) one of the best opportunities a student can have is to go abroad so they can bring back that knowledge to the UA,” said Renee Griggs, interim director for the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange. “We try to have a good mix of everything so that the student can look at what we offer and make a selection and start the application process.”

This is the largest study abroad fair the UA holds for the school year and will contain 55 tables of different faculty and UA affiliate programs.

Among the tables will be an informational booth about the Peace Corps provided by its recruitment office branch and the UA Peace Corps Fellows.

“We will just be there to inform students, faculty and staff about the Peace Corps and hopefully do some recruiting as well,” Hoholik said. “We are looking for applicants that have a sense of adventure, wants to travel and has an open mind about new cultures.”

The Peace Corps is a U.S. program started in 1961 by former President John F. Kennedy to provide assistance to underdeveloped nations and promote world peace. Since then, more than 200,000 volunteers have joined and lived in 139 countries.

At the Peace Corps’ booth on the Mall today, students will have the chance to talk to former volunteers who are a part of the UA Peace Corps Fellows, the nation’s largest Peace Corps Fellows program, which provides financial and community assistance to volunteers continuing their education after the Peace Corps.

At the event, fellows will take questions about their experiences in the Peace Corps and will also provide help to students who have already decided to join and are taking the beginning steps in the online application process. The booth will be available throughout the entire study abroad fair.