Police Beat

An officer was called to Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., Sunday regarding a student who had blood on his face and appeared to be intoxicated.

The officer met with the student and another student in the men’s restroom on the first floor. One of the students was bleeding from several places on his face and had a strong odor of intoxicants on his breath. His speech was slurred and he had red, watery eyes.

The injured student was staggering around and being held up by the other student.

The officer called the Tucson Fire Department and waited with the injured student in the lobby. He had a quarter-sized abrasion to the right side of his eye and a laceration to his forehead. He was bleeding from his nose.

He also had black marks on his face and several abrasions on his left hand. He had vomited several times.

When asked how he was injured, the student said, “”I have no idea,”” according to reports. He said several times that he was at the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house, 430 N. Cherry Ave. He could not answer what or how much he had to drink that night.

TFD arrived on scene, evaluated and treated the student.

The officer spoke with the other student, who said he was also at Phi Kappa Psi and saw the injured student fall to the ground in front of the house. He went to help and recognized the one who had fallen as his friend.

He told the officer that he helped his friend walk back to Coronado.

The officer escorted the two students, along with a resident assistant, to the restroom. The injured student was advised that he was being diverted to the Dean of Students Office, and the other student was told to call 911 if any further problems arose.

The president of Phi Kappa Psi was notified, and he said he did not know that anyone had been injured at the house.

He also said that members turned away several people who tried to get into the house that night while appearing intoxicated.

A man was cited for driving while intoxicated Saturday.

An officer was on patrol on East Ring Road when he saw a white Chevrolet Blazer stopped in the curb lane of North Campbell Avenue, pointing southbound. The vehicle’s lights were on, and the officer could see a person in the driver’s seat with his head down.

The officer shone his spotlight on the vehicle, but the driver did not react to it. The officer pulled behind the vehicle and walked up to it; the driver was asleep. The vehicle was not running, but the officer could tell the ignition was in the “”on”” position because the service lights on the dash display were lit up.

The officer opened the door and removed from the keys from the ignition. As the officer grabbed the keys, the man woke up, mumbled something and pointed to the front of the car. When the officer asked the man if he was OK, he said “”Right there,”” and pointed to the front of the car again, according to reports.

The officer asked the man to step out of the vehicle and stand on the sidewalk on the west side of North Campbell Avenue to do field sobriety tests. The officer could smell intoxicants on his breath; the man’s eyes were watery and his speech was slurred.

While the officer was attempting to give the man a vision test he said the officer was shaking the pen. He asked why the officer was shaking and started naming off medications the officer might be taking. The man said he could not perform the test because the officer was still shaking the pen.

As the officer asked test questions from a DUI sheet, the man became more hostile. The officer then requested another unit. When asked to comply, the man said he would not, and that the officer was intimidating him.

At the University of Arizona Police Department, 1852 E. First St., the man gave breath samples indicating blood-alcohol contents of .103 and .112.

The man was cited and released to a taxi.

An officer contacted the president of Sigma Phi Epsilon on Friday to shut down a party that was taking place.

The officer questioned a man at the fraternity’s house, 1420 N. Vine Ave., after he saw the man urinating on the back wall. The man admitted that he had come from a party there.

The officer contacted the president, who met with them on the front lawn. The officer informed the president that there were numerous Gamma infractions being committed at the party.

There were cans of beer and bottles of beer that could be seen in the house from the lawn, as well as numerous people and no security.

The president agreed to shut things down. Follow-up patrol of the area confirmed that the party was shut down.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police?Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.