UA student to sell bracelets for Haiti effort

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat
In recognition of the resulting devastation due to the earthquake in Haiti, UA students set up a vigil on the southeast corner of Park Avenue and University Boulevard early Thursday night.  Markers, cards and sheets of paper were in place for passers-by to write messages as well as leave small tokens of mourning to show their condolences.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat In recognition of the resulting devastation due to the earthquake in Haiti, UA students set up a vigil on the southeast corner of Park Avenue and University Boulevard early Thursday night. Markers, cards and sheets of paper were in place for passers-by to write messages as well as leave small tokens of mourning to show their condolences.

When pre-journalism freshman Cecelia Marshall read “”Leaving Microsoft to Change the World”” over winter break, she was inspired to make a small difference in the world.

After the magnitude 7earthquake hit Haiti on Jan. 12, Marshall decided that this was her chance to take action and make the change she wanted to see in the world.

In an effort to aid Haiti victims, Marshall is in the process of designing Live Strong-inspired bracelets, which she intends to sell at $2 or $3. Though she has not decided on a text, she said that “”Haiti”” will definitely be written on the bracelet.

All the profits will go to Haiti victims, Marshall said.

“”At first, I wanted to just leave out a donation jar in front of my Greek house, but I felt bracelets are more enticing for people to buy and wear around,”” Marshall said.

Marshall says that she has shared the fundraising idea with friends and other UA students, who said they would be supportive of the initiative.

“”Haiti was suffering before the earthquake and needs our attention right now,”” Marshall said.

Marshall contacted Elizabeth Oglesby, an assistant professor of geography and Latin American studies, for input on which organizations to send her profits. 

“”One is called Shelter Box. It’s very reputable for helping humanitarian victims,”” Oglesby said.

“”I want to find a good organization that works directly with the people of Haiti,”” Marshall said.

Oglesby also expressed gratitude toward the Haiti initiative.

“”I feel proud of the UA students who participate in this fundraiser,”” she said. “”There are so many students interested in Latin America on campus, and it’s great to see this interest turn into something helpful.””

— Laura Donovan

For information about how to participate in the Haiti aid fundraiser, contact Cecelia Marshall at cece0126@email.arizona.edu.