Wildcats impress at historic New York track event

Michelle A. Monroe
Michelle A. Monroe / Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona Police Department officials gave awards to UA employees and one student who helped them solve crimes or arrest people.

Three Wildcats made an impressive showing at the Millrose Games in New York on Saturday.

The men’s and No. 11 women’s track and field teams were represented by senior high jumper Brigetta Barrett, senior hurdler Georganne Moline, and junior distance runner Lawi Lalang in this historic event at The Armory in New York, N.Y. This event was not only for collegiate runners, but for professional runners as well.

Returning to the Games this year, Lalang competed in the men’s mile, placing second collegiately and fifth overall with a personal-record time of 3:54.56. This time was good for a school record, and was the No. 3 time in collegiate history.

“[Lalang] did everything that we thought he could do and I think he did a really good job,” assistant coach James Li said. “It was a little disappointing at the end and there are things we need to work on, especially a kick at the end. But, for a guy like [Lalang] to come down and run the mile, that’s pretty impressive considering he normally runs the 3K and 5K.

Barrett finished second in the women’s high jump with a clearance of 6-feet-1.5-inches. This was Barrett’s second indoor competition of the season.

Not only did she compete in the meet, but she also sang “America, the Beautiful” in the opening ceremonies.

After chasing down two runners in the last 100 meters of the 400-meter race, Moline’s second fastest time of her career of 53.23 was good to earn her third place. Moline currently holds the school-record time of 52.27, which is also the No. 3 collegiate mark in the country this year.

The Wildcats also had impressive showings at the NAU Tune-Up in Flagstaff, Ariz. on Thursday. Senior thrower, Taylor Freeman, posted another personal-best mark of 64-feet-5.75-inches in the women’s weight throw, which earned her second place. Senior thrower Baillie Gibson, placed fourth in the women’s weight throw with a mark of 60-1.25. Gibson also placed second in the women’s shot put, throwing a mark of 54-3.25.

On Friday, the Cats will compete in the MPSF Championships in Seattle, Wash. Barrett will look to earn her third-straight MPSF title in the women’s high jump.