Pharmacy head faces drunk driving charges

J. Lyle Bootman, senior vice president for Health Sciences and pharmacy dean, has been charged with a DUI, according to public court records.

Bootman was charged with one count of driving while impaired, one count of in body alcohol concentration greater than .08 and one count of an unsafe lane change.

A representative from the College of Pharmacy Office of Communications said that although Bootman has prepared a statement on the matter, he will not release it until he has approval from his attorney.

UA President Eugene Sander confirmed his “continued confidence” in Bootman as the senior vice president for Health Sciences. Sander said the incident was “properly reported,” and that additional details are considered to be confidential personnel information under Arizona Board of Regents policy.

The policy states that different measures must be taken depending on the severity of the offense, the amount of time passed since the offense was committed and any other factors deemed relevant by the university.

These measures include placing the employee on administrative leave once the university becomes aware of the offense, conducting an immediate review of the circumstances surrounding the commission of the offense, providing due process to employees in accordance with board and university policies before taking disciplinary action and taking appropriate disciplinary action congruent with the offense, which may include dismissal from employment.