Key plays from Arizona football’s loss to Oregon

Nathanial Stenchever

DJ Williams, a running back on the Arizona football team, scores a touchdown on a long run at Arizona Stadium on Oct. 8. The Wildcats would go on to lose the game 49-22. 

Jacob Cowing early fumble

Despite what the final score might suggest, the Arizona football team was once in the game early on after a promising opening drive from the offense. The first catch of the day was made by junior receiver Jacob Cowing for nine yards. 

Following two rushes by junior running back Michael Wiley, sophomore quarterback Jayden de Laura hit Cowing again for a big gain of 37 yards to the right side of the field to bring the Cats to the Oregon 20-yard line. Arizona would fail to get into the endzone, as Cowing rushed for a loss of four yards and fumbled the ball as well, ending the drive with the score tied 0-0. Jumping ahead 7-0 against a tough University of Oregon squad might have changed the momentum early on in this one.

Oregon 55-yard touchdown rush

Arizona won the opening coin toss and elected to receive the ball first. Neither team scored on their opening drive, and the Wildcats took a 3-0 lead off a field goal from sophomore kicker Tyler Loop. Oregon took control on their next possession however and did not look back. Sophomore running back Noah Whittington ran the ball up the middle for 55 yards and the Oregon touchdown to set the tone and put them up 7-3.

De Laura interception & fumble coming out of halftime

Oregon received the ball coming out of halftime and put the pressure on Arizona immediately with a touchdown to make it 35-13 Oregon Ducks. With the Wildcats in desperate need of points, de Laura had a pass up the middle broken up and intercepted by freshman defensive back Jahlil Florence. Set up on Arizona’s 39-yard line, the Ducks only needed four plays to travel 39 yards, ending with a 23-yard rushing touchdown from Oregon sophomore running back Bucky Irving to make it 42-13.

On Arizona’s next possession, they picked up chunk plays of 38 yards on a reception from sophomore receiver Dorian Singer, and 13 yards on a run by freshman running back Jonah Coleman to advance down to the Oregon 14-yard line. Jayden de Laura dropped back to pass on the next play and was sacked for a loss of 29 yards at the Oregon 43-yard line, also fumbling the ball and turning it back over to the Ducks. Once again set up with a good starting field position, Oregon marched down the field and scored a 25-yard rushing touchdown by quarterback Bo Nix to make the score 49-13.

Follow Alex Poor on Twitter