Arizona Governor appoints 2 new regents

Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano named two new members to the Arizona Board of Regents yesterday.

Bob McLendon, a former member of the Yuma County Board of Supervisors served on the Arizona State House of Representatives from 1983 to 2001. He also taught history and government at Yuma High School. Upon confirmation his term will expire in 2012, according to the governor’s office.

The board oversees all three in-state universities.

“”I’m very appreciative of the governor’s confidence in me and in higher education,”” McLendon said. “”I’m really looking forward to the challenge and hope I can be of help.””

As a member of the board, McLendon said he wants to focus on achieving higher graduation and retention rates, as well as improving the ways in which education is funded.

When asked about the recent tuition increases across all of Arizona’s universities, McLendon said he was optimistic about the future of higher education.

“”Compared to the rest of the nation, we are doing OK in terms of cost,”” he said. “”However, I understand that the more tuition goes up the less opportunities people have and I’m hopeful in keeping tuition costs low.””

LuAnn Leonard is the other appointee and the executive director of the Hopi Education Endowment Fund. She has worked as director of the Hopi Office of Youth Affairs. Upon confirmation, her term will expire in 2016, according to the governor’s office.

Fred Boice, president of the board, said he thinks both regents will be able to make a serious contribution to the state.

“”They will certainly be welcomed with open arms,”” he said.

A state law requires two regents on the board to represent Arizona’s rural communities. McLendon is from Yuma and Leonard is a member of the Hopi Tribe and a descendant of the Tohono O’odham Nation. They will be replacing Regent Gary Stuart and Regent Christina Palacios when their terms expire.

Boice said there is no set date for the confirmation; it is up to the senate to decide when to take up the nomination.

In the past, regents have been approved in January and April, he added.