People

Veteran looks for family of deceased Vietnam soldier

MESA – A retired Army lieutenant from Virginia is searching for the family of a Mesa soldier who was killed in Vietnam.

Sgt. Richard Lee Stockett of Mesa, was killed in action in Binh Dinh, South Vietnam in March 1971, four months shy of his 21st birthday.

Stockett’s commander, retired Army 2nd Lt. Terry Modglin, says he’s looking for the soldier’s family to tell them what a good man he was and about a memorial being built in Fort Benning, Ga. Construction on the memorial, which will list Stockett’s name, is set to begin in September and be finished about a year later.

Modglin said he knew Stockett just two months, but the soldier made a lasting impression.

‘Diddy’ entreats Saudi Arabia to lower oil prices

LOS ANGELES – Fuel prices have grounded an unexpected frequent-flyer: Diddy.

Sean “”Diddy”” Combs complained about the “”too high”” price of gas and pleaded for free oil from his “”Saudi Arabia(n) brothers and sisters”” in a YouTube video posted Wednesday. The hip-hop mogul said he is now flying on commercial airlines instead of in private jets, which Combs said had previously cost him $200,000 and up for a roundtrip between New York and Los Angeles.

Jude Law promotes Peace Day in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan – Jude Law is visiting Afghanistan to promote peace in the war-ravaged country.

Together with director Jeremy Gilley, the Oscar-nominated Law has returned to Afghanistan to help maintain momentum for Peace Day – an annual day of awareness on Sept. 21 urging a global cease-fire and nonviolence.

“”It seemed that they really want to make this day, the Peace Day, work. And they did,”” Law said. “”People recognize the day, because they recognize that lives could be saved.””

Law helped Gilley produce his second documentary film, called “”The Day After Peace.””

Last year, they traveled and filmed in treacherous areas of eastern Afghanistan to help promote the day, on which they hope weapons will fall silent, allowing help to reach those most in need.

“”The world celebrates so many days that often separate and segregate us … and yet there is none that ties us all together,”” Law said.

Duchovny starts rehabilitation for addiction to sex

LOS ANGELES – David Duchovny, who plays a sex-obsessed character on Showtime’s “”Californication,”” has entered a rehabilitation facility for sex addiction.

The 48-year-old actor said he did so voluntarily, in a statement released Thursday by his lawyer, Stanton Stein. He added, “”I ask for respect and privacy for my wife and children as we deal with this situation as a family.””

Birthdays

Keanu Reeves (actor) is 44. Salma Hayek (actress) is 42. K-Ci (of K-Ci and JoJo) is 39. Katt Williams (actress of “”Norbit””) is 35. Spencer Smith (drummer of Panic at the Disco) is 21.

-Associated Press