Dive into spring break

Head to Red Rock Country

If a trip to the rowdy Vegas casinos isn’t in the cards this year, why not try somewhere closer to home? While Sedona, Ariz., is not the craziest of spring break destinations, the many activities and natural splendor of the “”Red Rock Country”” and is enough to keep you hopping from dawn to, well, dawn. Plus, you probably have less of a chance of waking up the next morning with a tiger in your bathroom.

With outdoor adventures like rugged Jeep tours, hot air balloon rides and more than 100 hiking trails, as well as shops and exquisite dining, Sedona is an ideal destination for many reasons. And did I mention that Sedona is a spiritual power spot, home to several metaphysical vortexes?

Visit http://www.visitsedona.com/ for more information.

—Dallas Williamson

Take in some surf ‘n’ turf

Not up for partying 24/7 with your friends? For a low-key spring break, consider a road trip to San Diego. Less than a seven hour drive from Tucson, it’s worth packing up the car and heading out for some food, fun and culture. San Diego has tons to offer. It boasts a vibrant nightlife, a plethora of museums (right next to the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park) and great food. For killer steaks and seafood, try Saska’s at Mission Beach and while in the area, be sure to check out the classic wooden coaster at Mission Beach — before you eat. For more information, directions and trip planning help, visit www.sandiego.com.

—Ali Freedman

Ride the rails

If you’re looking for a taste of old-world glamour and adventure this spring break, look no further than the Amtrak Texas Eagle. From Tucson’s historic train station downtown, you can take the Amtrak to 41 cities in eight states. It’s about 30 hours to Austin or a day and a half to New Orleans, and tickets hover around $100, depending on the time of day — less than a plane ticket or the price of gas. Plus, nothing’s quite as romantic as that clickety-clack sound underneath you as the train chugs through the beautiful Southwest. For a steeper price (add about $230), you can book a room in a sleeper car.

400 E. Toole Ave.

Visit www.texaseagle.com or call 623-4442 for travel planning and ticketing information.

—Heather Price-Wright

Have a snow day

There’s been quite a bit of snowfall up north, so take a trip from wherever you are, bring your friends and go play in the snow. Flagstaff, Ariz., has a multitude of hikes, ski resorts and snow play areas that are sure to provide fodder for your snowball cannons. You can fill your hungry stomachs with Flagstaff’s famous “”Bun Huggers”” hamburgers and fried zucchini at 901 S. Milton Road. Come just for the day or stay at a hostel for $18 per night and make it a longer visit. Go to http://snowplayaz.com for details.

—Kellie Mejdrich

Work it out

Stuck in Tucson? You do not need to travel far to experience a little rest and relaxation. Work out the semester’s tension and treat yourself to a massage. Feeling the urge to shake it up? Try a hot stone massage, shiatsu or myofascial release. The Lotus Massage Wellness Center, 2850 E. Grant Road, is close to campus and will not break the bank the way Elizabeth Arden would ($68 for an hour versus $130 for 50 minutes). For more information, check out www.lotustucson.com or call 326-7700.

—Kim Kotel

The anti-spring break

Most people end up soaking up rays on beaches or skiing in Colorado. If you want something new, do the opposite. Geek out! Stay indoors and learn something. Study for the GMAT, finish that video game or finally build that beer pong table you’ve dreamed of. Work on whitening up that tan, while kicking it with a “”Harry Potter”” novel.

—Kathleen Roosa

Go skywalking at the Grand Canyon

Some tourist traps simply aren’t worth it. This one is. The reinforced glass walkway hangs a dizzying 3,600 feet above the basin and the view is definitely worth the drive. Take a few of your buddies and be sure to get some good food on the way home.

—Joe Dusbabek

Bar hop with the bands

This spring break, stay as far as you can from the bars of Mexico; you’ll just get dysentery anyway. Instead, head to Austin, Texas, for the SXSW festival March 12-21. It’s like Coachella, except a thousand times less pretentious and with an actual city to have fun in. All of the clubs are hosting shows, including Nas with Damien Marley, Minus the Bear, The Jesus Lizard, Spoon, Flying Lotus, Surfer Blood, Stone Temple Pilots, Drive-By Truckers, The xx, Murder By Death, Lucero, Bear in Heaven, The Very Best and Japandroids.

—Zachary Smith

Save some bucks in Bisbee

Save some money and boost the local economy by taking a trip to Bisbee, Ariz. Besides being a haven for eclectic art, the small town offers good food, hole-in-the-wall bars and scenic hillsides. If you decide to stay the night, check out the (supposedly haunted) Copper Queen Hotel or the Letson Loft Hotel, which has large bay windows that look out on Bisbee’s main street.

http://bisbeearizona.com/content/

http://www.copperqueen.com/

http://www.letsonlofthotel.com/index.shtml

—Emily Bowen

Do what you’ve been meaning to do

Whether it’s something from your personal to-do list or our “”Before You Graduate”” feature, make it your goal to check a few things off. Been wanting to camp? Visit Mount Lemmon or, better yet, the expansive, secluded Colossal Cave Mountain Park. Just trying to relax? Book one night at a hotel. Even lower-end accommodations like La Siesta, 1602 N. Oracle Rd., or the Randolph Park Hotel, 102 N. Alvernon Way, which have low rates and frequent specials, make a normal night a vacation. Assemble your own low-budget, custom-tailored spring break experience.

—Christy Delehanty

Go skydiving

Who wants to jump out of a perfectly good airplane? You do! If you’re looking for an adventure that doesn’t require much travel, skydiving is your best bet. Skydive Arizona is located just north of Tucson in Eloy, Ariz. Tandem jumps cost $179 for students, but the experience is worth the price. For more information, go to skydiveaz.com or call 466-3753.

—Katie Gault

Just hit the road

Getting away for spring break doesn’t have to conflict with a tight budget. Grab a few reliable friends, a car and head off to relative’s house (preferably a cool cousin in California) and let the fun commence. All you will have to pay for is food and gas. You’ll get a change of scenery without breaking the bank.

—Emily Moore