Bobcat Honorary looking for kittens

Courtesy of Arizona Alumni Association

The Bobcats Senior Honorary is currently looking for individuals who are
interested in being members during the upcoming school year.
Back row from left to right: Joe Novelli, Taylor Ashton, Zach Miller, Tim Brousse, Ben Malisewski, Vince Ippolito, Justin Nagata, Alec Demetre;
front row from left to right: Jordan Schumann, Cayley McClean, Ellen Dunn, Madeline Arendt, Dana Kline. The Bobcats Senior Honorary is currently looking for individuals who are interested in being members during the upcoming school year.

The Bobcats Senior Honorary, a group of 13 seniors dedicated to the UA, is hosting an informational meeting today at 5:15 p.m. in the “Swede” Johnson building for students interested in becoming Bobcats.

Jill Hall, vice president for the University of Arizona Alumni Association and faculty advisor for Bobcats, said that, on Thursday, applications to become a member of the Bobcats will be open to anyone who will be a senior next school year and will be due at the end of February.

Ben Malisewski, president of Bobcats, said the honorary was founded on Feb. 22, 1922, for the purpose of preserving the unity and welfare of the UA. He said being a Bobcat has taught him more about the value of giving back and has prepared him to be a Wildcat for life.

Hall said the application consists of a letter of interest, a resume and two letters of recommendation. She said interviews for the Bobcats will begin just after spring break, and the new class will be announced on April 15 at Evening of Excellence.
Members of the Bobcat class are responsible for planning and executing almost everything on the student side of Homecoming, Malisewski said.

Hall said that in addition to Homecoming, the Bobcats have access to unique things normal students probably would not get involved in.

“We have Bobcats going with us in two weeks to Phoenix to the capital,” Hall said, “and they are going to sit in on legislative sessions and speak to the state legislators to voice their opinion as a student.”
Brielle Lyon, a pre-business sophomore, said she thinks it would be fun to be a part of Bobcats during her senior year at the UA.

“I would be interested in getting involved with this honorary to gain leadership experience while creating memories for myself and the students,” Lyon said.

Malisewski said his favorite experience as a Bobcat was lighting “A” Mountain the Sunday evening before the Homecoming football game.

“Being able to be up on there and fill ‘A’ Mountain with red flares and know that there were people back on campus watching that and getting excited to kick off Homecoming week was a really cool feeling,” Malisewski said.
He added that there are no specific requirements or necessary qualities that students must have to become a Bobcat.

“It’s about your desire to give back during your final year here on campus,” Malisewski said. “I was not in ASUA; I was never in a previous honorary. Yet, the idea of being a Bobcat, being able to give back to the university, was something that I was still really intrigued by.”

_______________

Follow Brandi Walker on Twitter.