New ASUA leaders sworn in, receive gifts from former leaders

Mylo Erickson
Mylo Erickson / Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA 2013-14 Senate is sworn in to office by ASUA Supreme Court Justice Athan Papailou.

The UA welcomed Wednesday the 2013-2014 members of the undergraduate student government.

New members of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate and the executive officers were sworn in by current ASUA Supreme Court Justice Athan Papailiou.

Along with immediate duties and responsibilities, new executive officers were given words of encouragement, special tokens related to their positions and keys to their new offices.

Former Administrative Vice President Paige Sager was the first to hand over her position to Amanda Lester.

“When you leave an organization that you truly care about, you can only hope that whoever fills your position will do a better job than you did,” Sager said. “And I have absolutely no doubt that Amanda will go on to be the best AVP that ASUA has ever seen.”

Sager handed down several items, including the AVP inspiration book, which is filled with quotes that have inspired previous AVPs, and the spirit stick from Bear Down Camp.

Former Executive Vice President Krystina Nguyen introduced her replacement, Danielle Novelly.

“I could not be more thrilled to pass this office and position on to such an amazing woman and student leader,” Nguyen said. “Her passion for seeing others succeed and for serving students will make her an amazing executive vice president, and her vision for engaging our student clubs even further will take the club resource center to new heights.”

Nguyen also had a few gifts for Novelly, including a hard hat signed by former EVPs and the gavel used during senate meetings.

Katy Murray, former student body president also introduced her replacement, Morgan Abraham. Murray said the past year had been the most trying, yet exciting year she had ever had.

“This position is not only a burden in something that is really serious, but it’s also one of the most incredible and one of the most exciting opportunities that you’re ever presented as a student and arguably in your entire life,” Murray said.

Murray presented Abraham with several tokens as well, including the UA spirit stick, encased in a mahogany case to prevent its theft from Arizona State University — a long-time tradition between the two state universities.

Murray also gave Abraham the hockey stick of John Button Salmon, a former athlete and student body president from 1926.

The new senate class and executives were then officially sworn in, and Abraham gave his inaugural address about his plans for the future.

Next year will be a different year for ASUA, including the way ASUA connects with students, lobbies and advocates with them, Abraham said. ASUA is also going to have a much closer relationship with the Arizona Board of Regents and state Legislature, he added.

“It feels great, I mean I thought it was going to set in by now,” Abraham said after the ceremony. “It’s definitely a great feeling.”

Other senators also agreed that the feeling had yet to sink in, including Elana Roeder, and journalism freshman and new ASUA senator.

“I’m so excited though,” Roeder said. “I’m really ready to make a difference in the school, and I just hope I can serve the students well.”

Novelly said she has confidence in the new class of senators.

“They all have a lot of great ideas,” Novelly said. “I think they’re very different and bring a lot of fresh energy to the office.”