Mail Bag

Students should experience ‘revitalized’ downtown

Downtown Tucson has been perceived as a place of work and no play that offers nothing to us students or our young professionals. It is time for students at the UA to become aware of the new living experiences downtown.

The new 24/7 district does not lack in entertainment by any means. Downtown is a district full of unique bars, cafes, music, theaters and cultural events. Many UA students never take the time to examine the Tucsonan culture around them; hence young professionals view downtown negatively.

In a city with divided beliefs concerning downtown’s vibrancy, it is important that we students and young professionals work together to improve this perception. After all, if we do not work as a community to promote the livelihood of our downtown, how can we ever make a difference?

Tucson’s downtown development is unfolding incrementally, and the time from dream to realization is on the horizon. Not only should city officials be excited about the revitalization of downtown, but it is also imperative that we as students and young professionals understand and participate in our city’s direction.

Downtown’s Congress Street will be the first site in which downtown living will be made possible. Bourne Partners, a local real estate and development company, will be erecting a six-story mixed use structure named The Post. The Post’s storefront will consist of retail shops and restaurants, while the ensuing levels will be contemporary loft-style living spaces.

Downtown’s first mixed-use project will be sure to draw the attention of many within the community, especially Tucson’s young professionals. Upon the completion of the many residential development projects downtown, the new residential pioneers, students and young professionals will inject new life into downtown.

With the possibility of living downtown, we need to focus on how to encourage development that all levels of income can afford, particularly students and young professionals. Who knows? Maybe keeping Tucson’s downtown affordable will help keep our Wildcats around longer than the four years it takes to get a degree.

Bryan Mele
    regional development senior

Republican Party at fault for economic bungles

I’ve noticed the Wildcat seems to publish a letter to the editor from political science senior Alex Hoogasian on an almost monthly basis. Concerning Hoogasian’s last letter complaining about the wage increase, I wonder in what way Hoogasian determines that the collective will of the people of the state of Arizona constitutes irresponsibility on the part of the Democratic Party.

I also wonder if the irony escapes him that if the economy collapses as a result of such action, then perhaps it is the Republican Party that is responsible for taking us to the brink, where even a minimum wage increase disrupts our precious economic balance.

He talks about the infallibility of business but since all business costs rise with inflation, would it be unreasonable to suggest, at least ideally, that wage should be congruently associated with any other variable cost increase? Of course, Mr. Hoogasian is not an economist. He is a political science senior whose bias was clear.

I sometimes wonder about the use of the political science “”discipline”” and its allowance as a major. Astronomers cannot claim eleven planets. Why should Mr. Hoogasian be allowed to practice glorified opinion-making by majoring in what amounts to ideological dictatorship? It obviously “”gets him off,”” as evidenced by his continual flow of letters to the editor. Perhaps a psychology major can tell us why he feels an almost obsessive-compulsive need to impose his views on others?

Charles Hertenstein
    philosophy junior

‘Victory’ in Iraq keeps changing

This letter is in response to Carmella Aja’s letter “”Troop surge necessary for victory in Iraq.”” There are several points that need to be addressed in this issue, the first being what is meant by “”victory.””

The president has declared “”victory”” to: one, get rid ofweapons of mass destruction; two, no WMD’s, installing a democracy for Iraq is the next best thing; three, Iraq was aiding al-Qaida and needed to be stopped; four, turns out that victory is for Iraqis is to train a standing army; five, Iraq is in a civil war, now consequently we need to provide security.

Our victory in Iraq is now security, which is not a victory at all, but an occupation of a foreign government. Consequently, in President Bush’s speech about Iraq, he affirms that we will inform the Iraqis how we are helping them by having more checkpoints, and going door to door. This surely sounds like victory to me, with an indefinite ending (like in 2003, when Bush landed on the battleship declaring victory over an occupied country).

If we increase the troop numbers by some 20,000 more men and women, we will be exactly at the troop level of 2003. Although Bush declared we won in 2003, he was not quite living in reality, or anywhere near it. Victory? Would it not make sense for the administration to pick a definition for victory, and stick with it?

All that I ask is people think before buying the White House propaganda. Think for yourself. Have an opinion, but think.

John Bierman
    undeclared freshman

Minimum wage hike only an ‘adjustment’

I wanted to do my best my best to solve this debate between Mr. Hertenstein, the philosopher, and Mr. Hoogasian, the political scientist. The minimum wage should be changed to $7.25 nationally, but stop calling it a raise. All it does is adjust the minimum wage for the inflation that took place over the last ten years.

Someone making $7.25 when it is officially changed will have no more purchasing power than someone making $5.15 had when it was last changed in 1997. When the minimum wage was changed, the unemployment rate continued to go down through 2001, according to the U.S. Department of Labor.

Furthermore, the economy did not collapse. The real argument to me is whether or not citizens in this income bracket deserve more purchasing power.

Matt Loehman
    pre-business junior