Arizona soccer blanked by No. 2 USC

Ana Beltran

Defender, Morgan McGarry (11), heading the incoming ball to prevent the opposing midfielder from getting it during Sunday’s game. 

Arizona women’s soccer was defeated by No. 2 USC 2-0 on the road Thursday afternoon. The ‘Cats now have a record of 1-1-2 in Pac-12 conference play.

They don’t call it the conference of champions for nothing. Three of the four teams the Wildcats have played thus far are ranked in the top 25. The Trojans outshot Arizona 10-2. Arizona goalkeeper Lainey Burdett had eight saves.

USC’s Ally Prisock (33’) and Natalie Jacobs (49’) each scored a goal to give their team the lead and eventually the game.

The first 10 minutes of the first half seemed promising for the ‘Cats. They were able to create some chances and have some offensive looks at the goal. The team was pressing high and putting pressure on the USC defense, forcing the keeper to make some saves.

RELATED:  The family tailgate you’ve never heard of

After those 10 minutes, a lot of play was directed by USC. The Trojans seemed to find their rhythm and were keeping possession, forcing the UA to have to defend for longer periods of time. The Arizona defense stopped a lot of penetrating balls and were able to clear a lot of the chances that USC was creating but could not stop the two goals from going in.

At the 33rd minute an Arizona foul in the box resulted in a penalty kick taken by Prisock, which gave USC the lead and gave her, her first goal of the season.

The second goal came early in the second half with a great build up by the Trojans. A nice rolling ball at the top of the six-yard mark to Jacobs resulted in an easy tap into the back of the net. There was nothing Burdett could do to stop that one.

Towards the end of the half, Arizona seemed to attack a little more with some key moments that could have made for great chances. In the 88th minute, Kelcey Cavarra took a free kick to give Arizona a chance at redemption. She hit a low driven shot but was given straight to the keeper, making it an easy save for USC.

In the end, Arizona was unable to score.

Arizona’s next game will be Sunday at 3 p.m. at Wallis Annenberg Stadium in Los Angeles, California against the UCLA Bruins. The Bruins are 2-2 in conference play after defeating Arizona State 2-0 on Thursday.

Follow Maury Urcadez on Twitter