Three more arrested in connection with ‘rolling shootout’ that left one teen dead

Police on Tuesday arrested three people wanted in connection with a “”rolling shootout”” March 30 near Cahokia that ultimately claimed the life of an East St. Louis man.

Demond M. Eckford was being sought because police believed he was the motorist who dropped off Damas Moore, 18, at Touchette Regional Hospital in Centreville. Moore died of his wounds Friday in a St. Louis hospital.

Police would not say what led them to Eckford. But Andre Henson, a member of the East St. Louis Police Department and the FBI task force, was seen putting Eckford into handcuffs at 14th and State streets before Eckford was driven to jail.

Henson declined to identify the man he was arresting but, St. Clair County Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Johnson said it was Eckford. The arrest was made at 11:30 a.m.

Johnson said two others, Montreal Moran and Jerell Crumble, were arrested when they surrendered at the Sheriff’s Department about 3 p.m.

Johnson said charges have not been filed against the three men arrested Tuesday. Charges have been filed against at least five others.

The St. Clair County Sheriff’s Department is handling the investigation of the shootout that involved several gunmen, four to five vehicles and several weapons.

Moore was dumped on the ground outside Touchette and the driver sped off, Johnson said.

Police are still looking for Marco B. Orr, 22, of the 2400 block of Frank Scott Parkway West in Belleville. They have described him as armed and dangerous.

“”Anyone who spots him or who knows where he might be should call their local police or call the Sheriff’s Department,”” Johnson said.

Johnson would not talk about Orr’s possible role, however.

Eckford surrendered without incident.

Asked whether police planned to seek charges on Eckford later Tuesday, Johnson did not say.

“”We’re still investigating this case,”” he said.