Diggin’ into 2010 volleyball

After taking two of three matches in the Shamrock Invitational at Notre Dame University in South Bend, Ind., last weekend, Arizona volleyball found some answers to its preseason questions. It also, however, raised some more questions. Here are a few thoughts on where the team currently stands:

• Although a loss to Cal Poly University might sound bad, head coach Dave Rubio knew the Mustangs were going to be a tough team to open the season against.

“”Last year, we went to Louisville and opened up there,”” said Rubio before the tournament last week. “”I think (Cal Poly) is equal to Louisville in terms of how good they’re going to be and how competitive they will be.””

• Arizona opened the season at No. 18 in the AVCA Coaches Poll, but fell to No. 24 in this week’s poll after dropping its opening match of the season.

• Speaking of rankings, after seeing the Wildcats drop six spots after starting the season 2-1, it seems ? strange that UCLA climbed from No. 16 to No. 14 after putting up the same record in the opening weekend. UCLA was the only team to climb after losing a game. The Bruins beat Kansas State and San Diego, while losing to No. 5 Hawaii. ?

• Freshman middle-blocker Madeline Lozano made her debut last weekend after fellow freshman and expected starter Tarryn Luafalemana went down with a foot injury during fall camp.

• Lozano wasn’t spectacular but she was solid in her debut, which is about all you can ask for from a freshman making her first collegiate start. She notched seven kills and only four errors, but hit at a sub-par .200 hitting percentage. Defensively, she picked up three digs and nine blocks.

• A focus for coach Rubio and the Wildcats is to build on momentum and consistently improve.?

“”We were able to get better each day this weekend,”” he said after beating Notre Dame on Sunday. “”Today we were able to play well against a pretty good team.””

• Rubio said that he doesn’t have many questions regarding what the roster brings to the table this season, and he probably shouldn’t, as five of the six positions were all but set-in-stone entering fall camp.

“”There aren’t a whole lot of questions to be answered,”” Rubio said. “”It just comes down to us getting better.””

• Arizona holds its first home tournament this weekend. The Wildcats will host Butler, Louisville, and Cal State-Bakersfield, over the two-day schedule with two games Friday and one game Saturday.

Digs that senior setter Paige Weber has missed in her career at Arizona.

Points scored over the weekend by junior forward Renae Cuellar, netting two goals on Sunday in a 4-2 loss against Pepperdine University. Cuellar led the Wildcats with 12 points last season while leading the team in goals scored (six) as well.

Andre Iguodala became the seventh Wildcat represented in FIBA world championship events. Iguodala averaged 3.7 points and 4.3 rebounds in three exhibition games on the U.S. Senior Team.

Out of 12 incoming freshmen to the Wildcats soccer program, 7 made their debuts over the weekend, including goalkeeper and Tucson native Lorena Aragon, as well as midfielder Ana Montoya who competed for Colombia’s U-20 Women’s World Cup team that made it to the semifinals this summer.

Players on the men’s basketball roster after head coach Sean Miller announced the addition of walk-on Robert Arvizu.

Rounds at or below par the men’s golf team lost in senior Rich Saferian. Saferian also won the 2010 Wildcat Invitational, hosted by UA.

National overall ranking, according to Rivals.com, of UA’s recent verbal commitment: Class of 2011 star Nick Johnson.

Digs that senior setter Paige Webber had during the 2009 season.

Football season tickets sold last week, according to UA athletic director Greg Byrne, which puts Arizona Stadium at almost 26,000 season ticket holders this year.