Police Beat

An officer was stopped in the left lane on North Campbell Avenue and East Sixth Street at 6:51 p.m. Sunday when he witnessed a car rear-end another vehicle in the right-turn lane.

Both cars turned right, and the victim pulled over. The offending vehicle, however, passed the other car and turned onto another street.

The officer followed the car, which evaded him by ignoring numerous stop signs. As the officer continued to follow the vehicle, it failed to stop at yet another stop sign and collided with another vehicle, knocking it into a truck.

The driver of the offending vehicle then exited and ran south into the Safeway parking lot, 1940 E. Broadway Blvd.

Two other officers followed in pursuit of the driver, who was Tasered and placed in handcuffs.

The officer who followed the suspect’s vehicle took off after an unidentified man who was seen running from the scene and ordered him to the ground. The subject complied and was handcuffed, but insisted that he was only trying to help police by chasing “”the man who hit my car.””

This statement was verified, and the handcuffs were removed.

Four males were found smoking marijuana behind Highland Market, North Highland Avenue and East Sixth Street, at 11:18 p.m. Sunday.

All of the men had red, glassy eyes and smelled of marijuana smoke.

They admitted to smoking and were diverted to the Dean of Students Office.

A man was arrested for driving while intoxicated at 1 a.m. Jan. 12 at the intersection of East Speedway Boulevard and North Mountain Avenue.

Officers responded to a call of suspicious driving. Soon after, they received another call saying that the Volkswagen Beetle they had pulled over was involved in a hit-and-run accident at North First Avenue and East Grant Street only a few moments before.

Paint on the front of the Beetle matched that of the other vehicle involved in the collision.

The man responsible for the accident was highly intoxicated. He said he knew nothing about the previous crash and was positive he did not hit another vehicle while driving.

An officer reported to a drug paraphernalia call at the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity house, 1420 N. Vine Ave., at 9:02 a.m. Friday.

The house director found a large bong while changing locks to the rooms.

The bong, standing four feet tall in the left rear corner of the room, had a strong odor of marijuana coming from it and had several pieces of residue in the bong water.

It was photographed and placed into evidence.

No charges were filed.

An officer responded to the University of Arizona Materials Laboratory, 4715 E. Fort Lowell Road, at 9:52 a.m. Friday after a worker noticed that someone had cut and removed copper wire and pipes out of a large air conditioner fan just outside of the east fence around the building.

Water was also leaking from the roof where the pipes were removed.

The copper pipe that lined the east side of the building had been pulled down, as well.

The perpetrator appeared to have entered by cutting a hole in the fence and pushing it open. Latex gloves were found in a dumpster near the fence, and there were also shoe prints on the concrete that led to a trailer that had been forced open.

There was a large amount of damage inside the trailer to various items, including fuse boxes.

There were handprints inside the trailer, but officers were unable to locate any fingerprints of value.

Someone caused criminal damage by tagging the back of a U-turn sign between 9:30-10:49 a.m. at 1700 W. Anklam Street Jan. 10.

The sign was located halfway up the auto road. It was photographed and the film placed into evidence.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

An officer detained a transient suspected of a stabbing at 1540 E. Broadway Blvd. at 3:14 p.m. Jan. 10.

The rundown took place at North Warren Avenue and East 10th Street. The Tucson Police Department had sent out a broadcast to locate the suspect when a University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed the suspect near the intersection.

The officer parked his patrol car and yelled at the man to lay face down on the ground. The man complied, and he was handcuffed and searched for weapons.

None were found, but the man kept repeating the statement, “”We were just boxing.””

His presumed victim was another transient with a stab wound to the back.