Police Beat: April 25

Celebratory water-bottle bong confiscated

A female UA student’s makeshift water-bottle bong was confiscated on April 20.

At approximately 9:21 p.m., a University of Arizona Police Department officer responded reports of a marijuana odor in Coronado Residence Hall.

On arrival, the officer made contact with a resident assistant who identified the room he thought the odor was coming from.

In the hallway, the officer could also detect a faint odor coming from the room and attempted to contact the residents.

A female UA student opened the door, said that she was the resident of the room and gave the officer permission to enter.

Inside the room, the officer told the residents that he was speaking to them about the marijuana odor coming from their room.

One of the female residents then admitted to smoking marijuana about 15 to 20 minutes prior.

She reached over to the windowsill and handed the officer a sixteen-ounce plastic water bottle.

The bottle had a small hole cut into the side and a two-inch piece of rolled up paper inserted into the hole.

According to the student, she got the “”bowl”” of marijuana a week prior from an unknown acquaintance.

“”For some reason,”” they decided to smoke on April 20; so, she turned the plastic bottle into a water pipe to smoke the marijuana.

No other illicit drugs or marijuana were found in the room.

Instead of arresting the students for possession of drug paraphernalia, the officer diverted them to the Dean of Students Office.

The water-bottle “”bong”” and lighter were taken into evidence but the small amount of residue left in the bottle was not enough to be tested.

Mystery student submits offensive exam

Vulgar and offensive material was found written on a test, on April 20, according to a report filed by a professor.

A large stick figure with horns, a tail and a sign that said “”God is only imaginary,”” was drawn on the front page of the exam.

The name written on the test was found to be fabricated after the professor checked the name both on his class roster and in the UA phonebook.

On every page of the test, a small swastika was drawn in the corner.

While the professor is Jewish, he was unsure if the swastikas were a personal attack or a coincidence.

On the last page of the exam — which held no exam questions — there was a drawing of a pterodactyl or similar mythological creature.

The essay question on the exam was answered in a non-threatening manner, but was not relevant to the question whatsoever.

When the UAPD officer met with the professor at 4:12 p.m., he surveyed the Social Sciences building for suspects with the professor.

The officer surmised that it could have been a student in danger of failing the class who did not feel that passing the exam would help their grade.

The vandalized exam was taken into UAPD property as evidence.

Sidewalk snoozer gets sent to the big house

A man taking a on the sidewalk near the University Services building was arrested for previous warrants on April 20.

At 6 a.m., a UAPD officer was dispatched to the area because of an intrusion alarm.

Once at the scene, the officer spotted a man lying on the sidewalk east of the building.

According to the man, he was feeling sleepy so he decided to nap on the ground.

A records check showed that he had two Tucson Police Department warrants for his arrest and a warrant through the Pima County Sherriff’s Office.

The officer placed the man under arrest and began a search of his inventory.

In one of the man’s pockets, the officer found a clear glass pipe that resembled pipes commonly used for crack or methamphetamines.

The man was charged with possession of drug paraphernalia, in addition to his previous warrants, and transported to the Pima County Jail.

European thief goes shopping on UA’s dime

More than $3,000 in fraudulent purchases on a UA Purchasing Card were reported to UAPD.

A UAPD officer met with an employee from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering who received notification from the UA Purchasing Card administrator that fraudulent charges had been made.

Between April 6 and April 8, numerous purchases were made or attempted in central Europe.

On April 8, a $1,393.02 purchase was made on mrporter.com.

Later that day, another purchase was made in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

Several more charges had been declined that day, including a purchase made at the Excelsior Hotel in Köln, Germany.

The party making the purchases is still unknown, but the card was cancelled by the issuing bank, JPMorgan Chase, on April 8.