Arizona tennis heads to California for the Jack Kramer Intercollegiate Tournament

Ana Beltran

Taylor Tamblyn, getting ready to hit the ball against Japan opponent during the singles match. Arizona Women’s tennis played against Team Japan on January 25, 2019.

The University of Arizona’s men’s and women’s tennis team will be heading to Los Angeles, Calif., to play in the Jack Kramer Intercollegiate Tournament. This will be one of the first tennis tournaments this semester in which both the Arizona men’s and women’s teams will be competing. 

For the women, Arizona will be bringing Kayla Wilkins, Khim Iglupas, Kirsten Prelle, Tayla Zandberg, Gitte Heynemans and Abby Amos. Freshman Kayla Wilkins should be a fun view on the courts given that last week the youngster was able to reach the finals of the ITA Wildcard Qualifying event. In regards to the other women, Zandberg is going in with a 5-4 record, so the hope for her will be to continue having more wins than losses. The fall season for the women is still going strong, as they still have three more tournaments, so consistency is really what’s going to be sought out for the ladies this tournament.

In regards to the Arizona men, they have all been performing very well in the past few tournaments. In particular, the Arizona men have been making strong showcases in California, so hopefully for Arizona, that will continue to be the case in Los Angeles this weekend. The Jack Kramer tournament will also be the last tournament for the Wildcat men this fall season. They will then have a few months of training before the spring season starts out with a match against fellow Pac-12 team, University of Utah Utes. Because this is one of the last tournaments for the Wildcats before conference play, it is very important they go out there and make a name for themselves.

Overall, as the fall season wraps up, Arizona tennis followers are eager to see the results in both singles and doubles play, and it is very possible that Arizona has a strong chance to be in the finals rounds for both of those.

Follow Johnnie Mitchell on Twitter