Police Beat: September 17

When black tar just won’t do

Two non UA-affiliated individuals were arrested outside of the Arizona Health Sciences Library on Wednesday at approximately 4:50 p.m., after officers from the University of Arizona Police Department were advised of a man and woman walking around looking into cars and at bike racks.

Dispatch also said the woman had bolt cutters sticking out of her bag, and police aides in the area reported observing the man and woman attempting to change their clothes near the bike racks in front of the library. Officers made contact with the couple.

The woman had a warrant from UAPD for failing to appear on a previous traffic offense. The man had two warrants from the Tucson Police Department for failing to appear on charges of domestic assault and possession of drug paraphernalia.

They were both placed under arrest.

When searching the man, one of the officers found a loaded syringe containing a black liquid substance, a plastic seal containing 0.6 grams of a black tar-like substance, which the officer believed to be heroin, a plastic eye case and a small mirror with white residue. Inside the eye case was a metal spoon with a Q-tip and black tar-like substance in the basin, a syringe with a bent needle and two additional plastic seals containing white residue, as well as a single prescription pill.

The man told the officer he did not know what the pill was, only that a friend gave it to him for back pain. The case and loaded syringe were sent for further testing.

When searching the woman, another officer found a metal marijuana grinder, a broken metal smoking pipe and a small tin containing drug paraphernalia.

Both of them were taken to Pima County Jail and booked.

Rolling into trouble

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students for possession of marijuana in their residence hall on Wednesday, at 10:40 p.m.

At 10:22 p.m., officers responded to the residence hall in reference to the smell of marijuana coming from one of the rooms. An officer knocked on the door and a man answered. He identified himself as the resident of the room and allowed the officers to enter.

There were two other men inside the room. Officers informed the men, all of whom were UA students, that they smelled marijuana coming from the room.

One of the officers asked them if they had any marijuana or paraphernalia. The resident of the room said he had a grinder and gave it to the officer. He and another student admitted to smoking marijuana off campus.

One of the students provided the officer with three packages of rolling papers and an empty container for marijuana. The third student in the room said he had smoked marijuana in the past, but had not smoked since he came to campus.

The resident said the grinder belonged to him, and the student said the rolling papers and container belonged to him. They were diverted through the Dean of Students for possession of drug paraphernalia.

– Follow Alison Dorf @AlisonRaeDorf