Two teenagers arrested after attack on Bellingham Police officer

Two teenagers were booked into jail early Sunday, April 24, after allegedly punching a Bellingham Police officer in the jaw and chest.

Officers responded to a fight in the 500 block of Sterling Drive shortly after 1 a.m. When they arrived, a large group of people dispersed, but officers were able to catch 20-year-oldRogelio Bazante, a known gang member with a warrant from LyndenBellingham Police spokesman Mark Young said.

As two officers were attempting to put Bazante into a patrol car, he allegedly refused to get in and spit on one of them, Young said. Meanwhile, a third officer was holding back two teenage boys affiliated with Bazante.

The 16-year-old boy allegedly punched the officer in the jaw, and the 17-year-old allegedly pushed the officer and punched him in the chest, Young said. Both teens tried to run but were taken to the ground after a short chase; they were arrested for investigation of third-degree assault and obstructing an officer. The officer wasn’t seriously hurt.

Bazante was booked into Whatcom County Jail on suspicion of third-degree assault and failure to appear for third-degree driving with a suspended license and first-degree negligent driving.