Club seeks expansion, outreach with author’s presentation

Peter Jamero, author of “Vanishing Filipino-Americans: The Bridge Generation” will be speaking on Friday in honor of National Filipino-American history month.

The event is sponsored by the school of journalism and is hosted by the American Journalism Association Student Club.

“I think it is important for all students, whether you are Asian American or of an ethnic minority,” said Celeste González de Bustamante, adviser of the American Journalism Association Student Club. “I think it is important for students to hear different experiences to expand their knowledge.”

The speech will take place at 6 p.m. on Friday in room 440 in the Marshall building.

“A lot of people don’t know about the Filipino-American heritage,” club treasurer Janice Yu said. “I wasn’t exactly aware of it until we started forming the club and this came up. I feel like it is important to get our name out there and get things out to the public that people don’t know a lot about and that are important to our club.”

The American Journalism Association Journalism Club is a student group geared toward helping Asian Americans and Pacific Islander students who want to pursue a career in the field. The club is still in the planning stages, González de Bustamante said.

“One of our efforts as we are starting is outreach and expanding the membership,” she added. “We want to outreach by going to high schools and explaining what we at the school of journalism are all about and generate interest in their schools and get them talking about the UA school of journalism.”

The club serves as a student group that is intended to provide a community for Asian Americans where they can be comfortable so that they can grow as journalists and learn from each other, said Mo Olivas, president of the American Journalism Association Student Club.

“I’m a Filipino-American as well, so it interests me,” Olivas said. “It is a different perspective of how we grew up and the differences growing up in different cultures. Even if you’re not Filipino-American, you can still get an understanding and perspective of a different culture.”

Jamero is coming from California and the UA school of journalism has been trying to organize this for quite some time, González de Bustamante said.

“I hope that they are going to learn a lot about the Filipino-American experience, which we don’t hear a lot about in Tucson,” González de Bustamante said. “This is going to be a rare opportunity to hear a different perspective of Filipino-American history and culture.”