Arizona volleyball: Wildcats look to continue winning streak in New Mexico this weekend.

Darien Bakas

Arizona outside hitter Kalei Mau (10) spikes the ball in the match against Southern Methodist University on Friday, Sept. 3.

Arizona volleyball made a quick turnaround last week, going from getting completely swept in Hawaii to undefeated at home. The team improved their record to .500 through a three game winning streak, and look to continue their success into this weekend’s Borderland Invitational in Las Cruces, New Mexico.

The Wildcats will get their first taste of morning competition for the season on Friday, Sept. 9 at 9:00 a.m. against Texas A&M.

After they rise and shine, trying to beat the Aggies in the early match will be Arizona’s greatest obstacle in this tournament.

The Aggies have a 3-3 record which includes all losses against ranked competition, and wins against their unranked opponents. Despite the mediocre record, A&M is ranked 16 in the nation with four players averaging over two kills per set.

Friday afternoon, Arizona will have to regroup at 4:00 p.m. to face Sacramento State, who have a 4-3 record in their nonconference play.

Led by Tucson native Kennedy Kurtz, the Hornets have faced the weakest opponents of all the teams attending the tournament, so this should be an easier match for the Wildcats.

Arizona will wrap up the tournament on Saturday at 1:00 p.m. against the host, New Mexico State. The New Mexico Aggies are 5-2 on the season, and swept their four opponents last weekend at the Troy Tournament.

The Borderland Invitational will have one theme for Arizona: Beat the Aggies. Facing the two toughest opponents of the tournament, with their shared mascots, will help the Wildcats continue to find their team identity.

With Arizona’s all-conference setter Penina Snuka continuing her excellent play this season, and Kalei Mau consistently leading the team in kills per set, the Wildcats should be competitive in their third nonconference tournament of the year.

Follow Nikki Baim on Twitter