Cat-Call does a capella

Kappa Kappa Gamma member, Catherine Cocchiara, a business management junior, smiles as the Cat-Call a cappella group serenades her sorority house Wednesday evening at the corner of Second street and Cherry.

You’ve never heard “”Bear Down, Arizona”” quite like this before.

The UA-based a cappella group Cat-Call is making waves with their beat-boxing version of “”Bear Down”” and other modern vocal arrangements.

Cat-Call is a seven-part male a cappella group that takes contemporary songs and makes them their own.

“”It’s more of what you would hear on the radio and it’s different than choral music,”” said Herbie Washington, second year graduate student in choral conducting, “”We all sing choral music and we sing that all day every day so it’s a good change for us.””

The group started last November and have already completed a CD as well as performed at many Tucson and UA events.

“”We just like to sing and we’re trying to get it out to as many people as possible,”” said vocal studies senior Alex Ballinger.

Washington also said that because of the group’s strong choral background, they understand the music better.

“”We all read music and we all play some kind of instrument,”” he said. “”So when we start doing a cappella music … we have a stronger sense of what the music should be like.””

“”We do music that people jam out to in cars,”” said accounting sophomore Sam Ellis.

In order to promote their upcoming concert, the group has been serenading UA sororities.

“”They were entertaining, energetic and confident,”” said communications freshman and Delta Gamma member Kaytie Rifley after Cat-Call serenaded her sorority. “”They grabbed the attention of the entire house.””

Cat-Call has also helped with several workshops at different high schools, said Washington.

“”I think this is a great recruiting tool for young high school students coming in saying ‘there’s not just choir or instrumental music but there’s also a fun a cappella ensemble,'”” he said.

Washington also said that the group takes their music seriously and are very professional.

“”It’s not just a fun group, I look at this group as a professional ensemble even though we are all students,”” he said. “”This is quality music-making and not just a group of guys who want to get together and sing, this is serious for us.””

Arizona State University 2008 graduate Michael Herman thinks what separates the group from others is the fact that they all participate in creating the a cappella arrangements.

“”It’s creating something that’s serious but fun at the same time,”” he said. “”It’s cool to be able to have fun at a high artistic level.””

Ballinger enjoys the friendships that have come out of the group.

“”It’s not just making the music but it’s making the music with each other,”” he said. “”We’ve all become pretty close friends through this.””

Cat-Call will hold a free concert April 23 in room 100 of the Social Sciences building.

As far as the future of Cat-Call is concerned, Washington envisions the group continuing throughout the years.

“”This group can go on for years and years to come, I want to make it an important entity to this college,”” he said. “”We plan to be around for a long time.””