“Tacoma man had 3 bombs, prosecutors say”

A 49-year-old Tacoma man was charged Wednesday after police found three pipe bombs in his burglarized home.

During his arraignment, Curtis Todd Norwood pleaded not guilty to three counts of unlawful manufacturing, sale or offer to sell explosives and one count of reckless endangerment. Bail was set at $5,000.

A family member called police Tuesday night after finding the back door open to their home in the 3500 block of North Villard Street.

Norwood’s wife was taking an officer through the house and pointing out missing items when they came upon a cloth wrapped around three cylinders.

Officers called for the department’s explosive disposal team, which determined the devices were homemade bombs constructed of metal, police reported.

The team removed blasting caps from two devices but the third bomb exploded, causing damage to windows and doors inside the home but injuring no one, police spokesman Mark Fulghum said.

When Norwood came home, he told police the pipe bombs usually were stored in the drawer of a wooden gun cabinet he kept in his bedroom, according to charging documents.

The burglar apparently stole four rifles and four pistols from the cabinet, along with ammunition. The bombs were moved from the cabinet but left behind.

Norwood told officers he’s had the pipe bombs since 1990 but that the devices are not his, documents state.