Rubio plans for physical weekend against Stanford, Cal

Colin Penger
Colin Prenger / Arizona Daily Wildcat Setter Chloe Mathis during the UA Women’s Volleyball match against Washington State Sunday, Sept. 25, at the McKale Center. The UA volleyball team beat WSU in the second set. The photos were taken on Sept. 25.

Arizona volleyball head coach Dave Rubio spent a lot of time watching film this week, trying to find weaknesses for both No. 4 California and No. 6 Stanford.

The Golden Bears and the Cardinal will be two of the most physical teams the Wildcats play in the conference, Rubio said. Arizona (10-3, 2-2 Pac-12) faces Cal tonight in Berkeley, Calif., and Stanford on Sunday in Palo Alto, Calif.

Rubio said the northern California teams are two of the best in the Pac-12.

“We’re going to have to serve tough,” Rubio said. “For us, jumping into the next tier of schools, which is the upper-tier, we’re going to have to do a better job of serving. We’re not going to out-physical anybody, we’re going to be quicker, have faster ball handling and defend better.”

“Our margin for error is razor sharp in terms of our ability to create our own success,” Rubio added.

Unlike past matches where Arizona was able to relapse for a few points and then regain control, there will be no room for unforced errors this weekend.

One of the Wildcats’ tactics will be to push the other teams’ players out of their comfort zones.

“We’re going to have to get passers off their mark, make them move a little bit and take them out of their system, from a serve receive standpoint,” Rubio said.

Rubio did notice some weak spots for Cal. The Golden Bears were ranked No. 1 until two consecutive losses to No. 5 USC and No. 2 UCLA.

“Cal, I don’t think is a great passing team, but they’re super physical,” Rubio said.

On Sunday, the Wildcats take on the Cardinal, who is 8-3 and 2-3 in conference. Like Cal, it lost to both UCLA and USC.

Freshman outside hitter Madison Kingdon said she knows of her team’s tendency to make service errors, and will try to make sure she doesn’t contribute to any of them.

“If we just clean up our errors then we’ll be good,” Kingdon said.