Tucson’s ‘Cheers’: Sip at The Shanty

Tucson has no shortage of fashionable and interesting bars. Crawl down Fourth Avenue and at any corner you can find an alcoholic wonderland to suit any fetish. The most interesting thing about our lovely bar scene, though, is the lack of “traditional” bars. If you want to find a bar with a giant tiki head or a burlesque show, it couldn’t be easier. But billiards? You’re kidding, right?

That is, until you discover The Shanty.

The Shanty comes from an old breed of bars. Those retro hangouts with quarter billiard tables, friendly bartenders, no cover charges, heavy wooden stools and brass countertops have been an American icon as long as any of us can remember. Unfortunately, they’ve slowly been dying out in favor of trendier spots — until now.

If you’re looking to spend three to five hours just downing beers, playing pool and chatting with friends (or strangers), The Shanty is the shit. Beyond the well-blended and highly potent cocktails, beers are cheap and free-flowing and the location couldn’t be better; Congress Street and the rest of downtown Tucson is only a short walk away, and if you’re looking to go the other way, Fourth Avenue awaits. As any truly drunk person knows, a short walk sounds a lot better after you’ve had a few.

Several TVs and a projector, usually showing sports of some kind, adorn several walls. The patio seating might be the best outdoor seating in Tucson and the free popcorn makes for a great, old-school bar snack to soak up all those drinks when you’re ready to attempt going out again. If it isn’t clear already, The Shanty nails the atmosphere head-on, and then some.

Going out doesn’t always have to be expensive, crowded or loud. The Shanty, at its traditional finest with its $2.50 beer specials and accessible clientele, invites patrons to just sit down and stay awhile.