Some states report cases of pediatric inflammatory disease linked to COVID-19

Editor’s Note: This story was updated on July 14 to reflect new information regarding Arizona and the pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome

The past few weeks have seen an increasing number of developments regarding COVID-19, including an expansion of testing, states (including Arizona) starting to reopen and schools making announcements in both directions: implementing online and in-person instruction for the fall.

A somber new development has been making its way across the nation as experts are finding that a pediatric inflammatory syndrome has been linked to COVID-19. The disease, called Pediatric Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome, shares a lot of symptoms with Kawasaki disease, a rare disease in young children.

RELATED: COVID-19: Young age doesn’t grant total immunity

Common symptoms include a fever, rash, swelling and peeling of the skin. This infection bolsters the idea that children are far from immune from COVID-19 and could potentially play a role in the decision to reopen schools in the fall.

An official warning has not yet been released by the Centers for Disease Control, but they will be doing so soon, according to CNN.

The governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, reported that an 18-year-old girl died with symptoms of the syndrome, alongside more young people and children who were far younger than her. The majority of the cases linked to this syndrome have been in the state of New York, but as the month has progressed, it has made its way across the country.

As of May 13, a total of 15 states ⁠— including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah and Washington — have reported cases of the syndrome. Arizona has yet to report a case of the pediatric inflammatory syndrome linked to COVID-19.

UPDATE: Arizona has reported cases of the pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter