Meet Arizona MBB’s newest 7-footer: Dylan Anderson

Nathanial Stenchever

During the pregame introductions the University of Arizona mascot Wilber flies the UA flag  on Saturday, Feb. 5 in McKale Center. The Wildcats would lead into the half 29-28.

The Arizona basketball recruiting class is relatively thin for the fall of 2022. Dylan Anderson, a 7-foot-tall center, highlights the group of incomers. From Gilbert, Arizona, Anderson decided to join the Wildcat program to continue his basketball career. Anderson emphasized the strong relationship he and his family have with Arizona coach TJ Benson.

“Coach Benson played for my high school coach and then went to Gonzaga University to pair up with Coach Lloyd, I was planning to move out of the state and then heard the news about Coach Lloyd, I was excited” Anderson said.

The connection between the two played an important role in Anderson’s choice to come to Tucson.

Anderson recently finished up his senior year playing at Perry High School. Before making the hour and a half trip south to Tucson, Anderson made sure to leave his final impact for the Perry Pumas. He led the talented group to a 25-5 record, winning the school’s first-class 6A state championship against Brophy, a college preparatory school from the nearby Phoenix area, mentioning much of the joy that game was.

“That game was super fun, but unfortunately, we lost to Brophy twice before the championship game. So we got our revenge and finally beat them” Anderson said.

The talented seven-foot high-school senior finished up his last season in high school, averaging 13 points, 11 rebounds, and 1.9 blocks per game. Ultimately, his on-court success earned him the honor of being named Gatorade Player of the Year, highlighting the best basketball player in Arizona. Winning the prestigious award marked his second time taking home the trophy. Anderson also earned first-team all-state and was elected to the all-region team during his junior year.

Anderson came down to Tucson a couple of times throughout this past season. He noticed that members of the program, whether it was players or coaches, all felt so close together, stating,

“The team is really like a family, and they stick together. Everyone has each other’s back” Anderson said.

RELATED: Roundtable: What was the best Arizona sports moment of the 2021-22 season?

The family mentality was evident in the 2021-2022 season seeing the Wildcats finish with a 33-4 record, arguably the program’s best season.

With junior center Christian Koloko departing for the NBA draft, head coach Tommy Lloyd has a vacancy at the center position. Anderson shows promise that he can make immediate contributions and he spoke on Arizona’s unique system.

“I’ve never really played with that style, I usually play with guards that get the shots, and I get the clean-up boards,” Anderson said. “Sometimes I will get a post-touch now and then, but I’m super excited everybody touches the ball in that system.”

Arizona fans will likely see Anderson and Oumar Ballo alongside Azuolas Tubelis in the front court. Anderson will make his way down to Tucson early this summer. The incoming freshman has an intended major in computer science.

Follow Aidan Alperstein on Twitter