Career Services to host job fair

If the end of summer means the end of your summer job, Career Services has just the event for you.

Students seeking jobs for the Fall 2011 semester can attend the Wildcat Student Employment Fair on Wednesday in the Grand Ballroom on the third floor of the Student Union Memorial Center. The event will last from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and will host more than 40 companies seeking students for part-time employment. The free employment fair is hosted by Career Services at the start of every fall semester.

One of the biggest changes to the fair this year is the incorporation of local off-campus companies. Previously, the fair was exclusively for employment positions on campus.

“I am really pleased with that because it has expanded the number of opportunities for students, and that is what we are looking to do,” said Susan Miller, marketing and special events senior coordinator for UA Career Services.

Last year’s event provided 300 positions among 27 employers on campus. This year the number has grown to 43 corporations both on and off campus looking to employ full-time students for part-time jobs with 450 positions available. This is a 50 percent increase from the previous year.

One of the new local employers to the event is the part-time tutoring and caregiving agency College Nannies and Tutors.

“Now that school is back in session we are getting more requests for tutoring,” said Chuck Nickel, managing director of the Tucson branch. “We are looking for students who have academic success as well as other interests that will make it easy to pair them off with the right family.”

Though the interest of outside employment has added more booths to the employment fair, the number of part-time organizations on campus seeking student employment at the fair has fallen from 27 booths to 23.

“At the moment we have a very high retention rate,” said Ashley LaBar, the student union’s human resource coordinator. “We get a lot of students who stay all four years of college because of the convenience of working on campus.”

This year Arizona Student Unions is looking to fill more than 30 positions throughout the UA at the fair, including food and customer service jobs.

For students looking to give potential employers a great first impression, Miller suggested preparing ahead of time by checking out the Career Services’ website to view the list of corporations attending, ask questions and dress accordingly to the event.

“Try not to dress like you are coming back from the beach,” Miller said. “Be neat, clean and professional and you should be ready to go.”