Facebook app scams users

A new scam that exploits curiosity on Facebook is making the rounds.

As reported on The Huffington Post and by Sophos, a software and hardware security firm, Facebook users have received this message: “”OMG OMG OMG… I cant believe this actually works! Now you really can see who viewed your profile! on (LINK).””

The link goes to a Facebook application called ePrivacy or Profile Watcher. It supposedly allows users to see who has viewed their profile. In exchange, the application demands unlimited access to a person’s profile and personal information. The application can then pose as the person on Facebook and post status updates, share links and look at anything that has been shared with friends.

Pre-business freshman Christy Gonzales had not come across the application or the message, but did hear about it. She said she received event invitations to try out the application, but didn’t click on the provided link.

Kelley Bogart, a UA senior information security specialist, said students should be wary of such applications and offers.

Bogart said users should research new applications online to see what people are saying before installing it.

Facebook has an “”opt-in mentality,”” according to Bogart, in that certain personal information is shared with everyone or friends of friends as a default setting. She recommends that users at the UA should review their privacy settings under the account tab.

Bogart also recommends that Facebook users visit the office’s website, security.arizona.edu/topten8, for more tips on how to keep their personal information safe on social networks.