Concert enlists students

Some students are paying as much as $200 to get into next week’s $1 million Arizona Stadium concert, but Tracy Goebel is actually getting paid to step onto the field – just not during the show.

“”We participated in the Kanye West ASUA help last year too,”” the business administration senior said. “”We thought it was a good amount of experience, and they pay pretty well.””

Goebel is one of 300 UA students helping the Associated Students of the University of Arizona to load and unload equipment for the April 29 concert featuring Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, Third Eye Blind and The Veronicas. The workers are representatives of 30 clubs made up of 10 club members each, said Jessica Anderson, ASUA executive vice president.

With each group receiving $450 for its services, it seemed an obvious step to involve students rather than hire outside help, Anderson added.

“”We would always rather support university entities before we would go to an outside source,”” she said. “”And they get to be part of the experience, which is definitely cool in itself.””

Despite working shifts that last six to eight hours, clubs are not complaining, as the paycheck is about $300 more than the one cashed in by volunteers for West’s “”Glow in the Dark Tour”” show last April.

“”It’s always great to get other resources for club funding,”” Goebel said.