“Santa, elves pose for cancer money”

Liem Le, a math education junior, leaps into Santas arms, posing for a photo yesterday. Youth Against Cancer invited students to have their picture taken with Santa, receive a free candy cane and make a donation for a fundraiser benefiting children with cancer.
    Liem Le, a math education junior, leaps into Santa’s arms, posing for a photo yesterday. Youth Against Cancer invited students to have their picture taken with Santa, receive a free candy cane and make a donation for a fundraiser benefiting children with cancer.

Santa visited the UA Mall yesterday to help raise money for the UA Cancer Center as part of the Youth Against Cancer club’s third annual fundraiser.

Festively dressed members of Youth Against Cancer were also present, handing out candy canes, snapping Polaroid pictures of participants posing with Santa and collecting donations to raise money to buy presents for children fighting cancer. The Santa snapshots were taken for a suggested donation of $3.

Club members will gift wrap the presents – which will be purchased using the Cancer Center’s list – and bring them to the children at the center.

“”I think it’s important for people to know what’s been going on and how to help,”” said Aditi Bhuskute, a biochemistry senior.

Last year, the group made $150, which was enough to buy presents for about 20 kids, said Alex Ushakova, the club’s fundraising chair and a pre-nursing sophomore.

“”I’m Jewish, but it’s for a good cause,”” Ushakova said, while sporting a red and green elf hat. “”I still want kids with cancer to get presents.””

Kasey Clapp,

A lot of times people forget. We’re at college, we have good lives, but so many people need our help.

-Marianne Bean,
    pre-business freshman

the club’s activities coordinator and a pre-pharmacy junior, dressed up as Santa.

“”I don’t mind standing out here in the heat with extra body fat on,”” Clapp said. “”It’s good to do something to help children who are going through a lot.””

Having personally suffered the loss of her father this year, Nelly Moreno, a sophomore majoring in Spanish and Portuguese, donated money and talked to club members about joining.

“”I think it’s great people are coming out here and helping,”” she said.

Pre-business freshman Marianne Bean volunteered to help raise awareness during the holidays.

“”A lot of times people forget,”” Bean said, while handing out candy canes. “”We’re at college, we have good lives, but so many people need our help.””

The event helped reinforce the spirit of the holidays, said Parker Ashbaugh, a chemical engineering sophomore.

“”It’s a nice thing to do for the holidays,”” Ashbaugh said. “”And why not have a picture, right?””

Santa and club members will be back tomorrow on the Mall from 10 a.m to noon.