Regents will set tuition today

Members of the Arizona Board of Regents will set tuition and mandatory fees for next year during its meeting on campus today.

The regents will meet today and tomorrow in the Student Union Memorial Center to also vote on program fees and residence hall rates. Presidents from all three universities submitted proposals to increase tuition in light of an expected $198 million funding cut from the state.

UA President Robert Shelton proposed raising tuition and mandatory fees by $1,798 for in-state students, raising tuition and fees to $10,035 for next year. If approved, tuition for out-of-state students would increase $898 to a total of $25,494.

Mandatory fee increases, if approved, include a $150 increase in the health and recreation fee, a $125 increase in the information technology and library fee and a $23 increase in the Arizona Financial Aid Trust fee.

Arizona State University President Michael Crow proposed a $1,413 increase in non-fixed tuition and fees for resident students and $1,723 for nonresident students. Non-fixed tuition and fees at Northern Arizona University will increase $309 for resident students and $496 for non-resident students if President John Haeger’s proposal is approved.

Tuition proposals are not expected to change even though they were created to address the governor’s original funding cut of $170 million, according to Katie Paquet, spokesperson for the Arizona Board of Regents.

“”The tuition proposals that were introduced on March 18 are the ones the board will be discussing and ultimately the ones that will be voted on,”” she said.

The regents will also set differential tuition and class fees. Proposed changes at the UA include a $600 fee for lower division engineering majors and increased tuition for programs within the James E. Rogers College of Law, College of Nursing and the Eller College of Management.

Proposed rates for university housing will be voted on during the meeting. Residents living in the UA’s two new residence halls, Likins Residence Hall and Arbol de la Vida Residence Hall, will pay $7,410 for the year under the proposal.

On Friday, regents will review the UA’s strategic business plan and elect Arizona Board of Regents officers for terms beginning in July.