Series of talks, films and events set for Coming Out Week

Kevin Brost
Kevin Brost / Arizona Daily Wildcat Members of transgender youth and ally empowerment program Made for Flight build and customize kites to commemorate the transgender individuals who have been murdered in the last year. Photo taken in the Union Gallery in the Student Union Memorial Center on October 11, 2011.

LGBTQ Affairs has teamed up with Greek Life to promote Coming Out Week 2011, which began on Saturday and will run until this Sunday.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning Affairs kicked off Coming Out Week 2011 by marching in the Tucson Pride Parade on Saturday evening. As a part of LGBT History Month, which happens during October, Coming Out Week 2011 will feature several events involving support for members and allies of the LGBTQ campus community.

This year’s Coming Out Week is also receiving the largest amount of Greek Life support in the university’s history. On Tuesday from 6 to 8 p.m., the Delta Lambda Phi fraternity will host Allies of Delphi: Greek Safe Zone Training.

The event is a workshop that will discuss development strategies for allies of the LGBTQ community. It is being sponsored by Delta Delta Delta sorority, and will be held at the sorority’s house. The United Sorority and Fraternity Council and LGBTQ Affairs are co-sponsoring. So far, 70 people have registered for the workshop.

Coming Out Week is a vital aspect of UA culture, said LGBTQ Affairs Program Director Jennifer Hoefle.

“Coming Out Week is a place to support the training of LGBTQ allies,” Hoefle said. “It also gives everyone a chance to appreciate their fellow students here on campus.”

The events being held throughout Coming Out Week 2011 range from violence prevention discussions to bingo and karaoke, many of which are open to anyone interested in participating.