Arizona women’s golf completes preseason

The No. 4 ranked Arizona women’s golf team completed their third pre-season tournament on Sunday with a fourth place finish at the Stanford Intercollegiate in Palo Alto, Calif.

The Wildcats were undefeated entering the tournament and had yet to finish a round outside of the top two. However, according to head coach Laura Ianello, the Stanford intercollegiate would present the toughest field of opponents the Wildcats had faced all year. According to Golfweek magazine, 16 of the 17 schools that competed in the tournament are ranked in the top 50.

Following a subpar first round, Arizona found itself sitting in ninth place. The UA women would fight in round two to advance into eighth place and continued their rise in round three with a score of 286, which rallied the team into a fourth place finish.

No. 2 USC won the tournament with a score of 857 (five over par), No. 1 Washington placed second with a score of 861 (Nine over par) and No. 16 Stanford rounded up the top-three with a total of 868 (16 over par). USC’s Kyung Kim won the individual title with a score of 206 (seven under par).

Arizona scored 869 (17 over par) in its fourth place finish.

No. 22 Manon Gidali and No. 40 Kendall Prince finished in a four-way tie for 17th place in individual play, and led the Wildcats with a score of 217 (four over par). No. 94 sophomore Andrea Vilarasau totaled a score of 220 (seven over par) and finished in a three-way tie for 29th.

No. 54 freshman Janie Jackson had the strongest third round, as she shot a 68 on the final day and moved from 68th to 36th.

Jackson finished with a score of 222 (nine over par). Freshman Anna Kim rounded out the Arizona five in a five-way tie for 48th place with a score of 224 (11 over par).

The Wildcats will compete in their final pre-season tournament on Oct. 26, the UNCW Landfall Tradition, before they take their three-month break and the season officially begins in February.