Mailbag: Nov. 4

Even advertisements deserve scrutiny

In response to the Oct. 26 issue of the Daily Wildcat:

This letter is from the members of UA VOX: Voices for Planned Parenthood. In regards to the 12-page Human Life Alliance advertising supplement that was printed on Oct. 26. Although we understand the material printed was not edited or written by the Daily Wildcat staff, the style and nature of the advertisement made it inappropriate for publication within the Wildcat. Much of the information contained in the supplement is misleading or false. What makes the supplement doubly irresponsible is its newspaper formatting — at first glance it appears to be a part of the regular newspaper, not an advertisement.

Here are only a few examples of incorrect information contained in the supplement:

“Feelings of depression and despair are some of the common psychological complications from abortion.”

No medical or psychological study has ever proven a link between abortion and mental health problems (or been able to replicate an experiment where they did).

“Induced abortion of a normal pregnancy results in increased risk of breast cancer for the mother…”

The National Cancer Institute has established that there is no link between breast cancer and abortion. The Human Life Alliance attempts to discredit these findings citing “17 other studies” that have allegedly found a link. However, they are using sources from 1957, not the most recent studies.

“64 percent of women in a 2004 study reported feeling coerced and forced in to their abortions.”

Women have abortions for a lot of reasons, but only 1 percent list pressure from family members or partners as the “most important” factor in their decision.

We feel it was reckless and unethical for the Wildcat to print this false information. We urge the Wildcat to use more discretion in the content printed in their newspaper, whether advertising or reporting.

— Madelaine Archie, VOX president, Zoe Warren, VOX secretary, Georgia Behrend, Nancy Freitas, Katie Marascio