W-Hoops to ‘White Out’ fans against Colorado

Arizona women’s basketball will try to make the fan base more of a factor on Sunday when the Wildcats welcome Colorado to McKale Center at 2:30 p.m.

The team is encouraging fans to wear white to Sunday’s game, which will be televised nationally on Fox Sports Net. White “aNIYAlator” T-shirts, alluding to Arizona head coach Niya Butts, can be purchased in McKale Center for $10.

“I’m hoping that we can get a lot of people in the stands for that game,” Butts said. “Our supporters have been great all year long, it won’t be any different on Sunday. We just hope we can get everyone out to come and support us.”

The Wildcats have averaged about 2,053 fans per game so far this season. Against North Texas on Nov. 28, Arizona held a “Field Trip Day” for local elementary schools and welcomed a season-high 4,327 fans.

As for the game itself against Colorado, it will mark the first time Arizona has faced the Buffaloes since they joined the Pac-12 Conference.

Colorado (13-4, 2-4 Pac-12 Conference) is coming to Tucson following a 64-43 blowout loss to ASU.

Colorado is led by junior Chucky Jeffery, who is third in the Pac-12 in scoring (16.3 ppg), seventh in rebounding (8 rpg) and fourth in assists (4.2 apg).