Online Exclusive: ASUA addresses streetcar, tuition

Amy Webb
Amy Webb/ Arizona Daily Wildcat University of Arizona’s Nutritional Science Club in front of Old Main on Monday Nov. 28.

The ASUA Senate discussed potential streetcar construction problems and avoiding tuition increases at its meeting on Wednesday.

David Heineking, director of Parking and Transportation Services, said that the Tucson Modern Streetcar’s construction is about to be in full effect and will “cut the campus in half for a while.”

The streetcar will eventually have 17 total stops — including four on campus and one on University Boulevard — and run from 6 a.m. to 2 a.m., according to Heineking. The construction, he said, will cause “quite a bit of disruption” on Second Street, Park Avenue and University Boulevard, but the majority of it will occur over the summer to prevent large-scale disruptions to those on campus. The cost to ride the streetcar has not been decided yet, but Heineking said he thinks it will be the same as the bus, which costs $1.50 per ride.

“It’s a lot cheaper than a taxi,” he added.

James Allen, the president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, agreed, and said the streetcar will “stimulate the downtown environment” with more student activity by giving them access to different bars and food offered in the area. The fact that the $3 million streetcar project included the UA in such a large capacity by having stops on campus and downtown at a potentially low cost was “great,” Allen said.

“I think it’s kind of cool to know that they (Modern Streetcar representatives) look at the U of A so seriously,” he added.

Allen also told the senators that he is working on tuition talks with various UA and state leaders, and is pushing for a $0 increase. If tuition does not increase for the next school year, it will be the first time since 1992.

“It’s time for zero, for more than economic and financial reasons,” Allen said.