Rapper from Wu-Tang Clan will play at UA for free

Ghostface Killah of hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan will perform at the UA on Oct. 17 as part of the National College Tour.

The concert, which is not open to the general public, will be free to students with a CatCard, and officials are working on allowing students to bring one guest with them, said Andrew C. Stanley, director of special events for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

Ghostface Killah will be performing at 24 colleges for the tour, starting in Albany, N.Y. on Oct. 1 and ending in Philadelphia on Nov. 21, according to the rapper’s official Web site.

The concert will be held at the Grand Ballroom in the Student Union Memorial Center and will also feature Witchdoctor, a rapper who has recently worked with Outkast.

The concert was initiated by officials representing Adult Swim, an adult-oriented comedy network that is sponsoring the tour.

“”Adult Swim called the campus to set up the concert because they liked our campus,”” Stanley said, adding that sponsorship by the network and wireless phone carrier Helio is funding the show.

“”If you know the history of hip-hop then you know who Wu-Tang is,”” said Doug Gould, a member of the ASUA special events team. “”The show should be great. Hip-hop shows in general are a lot of fun.””

Carson Keiff, an undeclared freshman, said he isn’t a huge fan of Ghostface Killah but still thinks the show will be a success.

“”Wu-Tang is classic hip-hop and they started a lot of trends, so if I can make it to the show, then I will go,”” he said.