GymCats fall to Oregon State at their annual Think Pink Meet

Jose Toro

UA gymnast Courtney Cowles high fives her teammates before beginning the UA Gymcat Showcase on December 2nd in the McKale Center

Arizona gymnastics put up a well-fought battle against No. 11 Oregon State, but fell 196.350 to 195.475 on Friday, Feb. 8, in McKale Center.

The annual Think Pink Meet boosts breast cancer awareness by encouraging fans to wear pink.

The GymCats opened the meet strong on the vault. Adra Parks started off the meet and nailed her Yurchenko full. Jenny Leung, Courtney Cowles, Maddi Leydin and Heather Swanson followed, landing their Yurchenko fulls as well. MacKinzie Kane nailed her Yurchenko tuck full to finish out the GymCats’ first rotation, but they came up just short of OSU. The ‘Cats trailed behind after rotation one 48.875 to 48.725.

RELATED: Australian GymCat finds second home at Arizona

The GymCats out-performed the Beavers on the uneven bars 48.950 to 48.875. Haylie Hendrickson started the second rotation with an impressive routine and tied her season high of 9.775. Swanson nailed her dismount, while Kane performed a beautiful routine but took a slight step on her dismount.

Danielle Spencer hit her Ray to start her routine and ended with a huge dismount to earn a 9.800. Christina Berg finished off the second rotation and got the crowd’s attention with her routine to earn a 9.900, tying for first place with Oregon State’s Sabrina Gill. Still, Arizona was behind after the second rotation with a score of 98.050 to 97.675.

Heading to the beam, the GymCats found themselves wobbling but were able to stick their landings. Hendrickson nailed her series and stuck her dismount to earn Arizona’s highest score this event, 9.825, followed by Cowles with a 9.800. The Cats headed to the floor with hope to pass the Beavers with a score of 147.325 to 146.475.

Hendrickson and Cowles earned a 9.775, and Hendrickson kicked off the final rotation and tied her collegiate high of 9.775. Swanson had an one of the better floor routines of the round and scored a 9.800, while Syndey Freidin took a small step out of line, keeping her from scoring higher.

UA’s Leydin got the highest score of the meet, earning 39.075. 

The GymCats were able to keep it close but couldn’t pull through with a win. They are headed to take on UCLA next Saturday, Feb. 16, at 3:30 p.m.

Follow Daily Wildcat Sports on Twitter