Fashion: Wardrobe winterizing a cinch for both sexes

Oh, the weather outside is frightful…but that’s no excuse to let your fashion guard down, especially in Tucson. Slipping into sweats on chilly winter mornings is cozy, but who wants to look like she or he just rolled out of bed? Bundling up to brave the desert cold doesn’t mean you have to compromise style. Adding a few key pieces and accessories make winterizing your wardrobe easy.

“”It definitely doesn’t get too cold in Tucson, so it’s not too much of a transition,”” said political science sophmore Ken Strocsher.

Strocsher, an employee at Urban Outfitters, said guys typically don’t change much about their winter wardrobes, but they have more options this winter.

“”There’s a lot of blazers and scarves out for guys right now,”” Strocsher said. He also added that those are a touch more refined than hoodies and sweats.

For a polished winter ensemble, guys can pair a black corduroy blazer with dark wash jeans and a neutral colored scarf.

Speaking of scarves – they’re a trend members of both sexes can pull off.

“”You can wear (scarves) plain around your neck, and around your shoulders as a shawl,”” undeclared freshman Genesis Trujillo said. “”Or, you can tie it around your face.””

Trujillo pairs loosely knotted scarves with a hooded leather jacket – another versatile piece to pull out when the temperature drops.

This winter, just say no to the ubiquitous pair of Uggs. Upgrade your kicks to knit booties, moccasins or classic leather mid-calf boots.

“”Riding boots are popular right now, and basically any tall boots,”” said Britta Phillips, a junior who works at Pitaya on University Boulevard.

Replacing boring denim jeans with colorful leg wear can also spruce up even the drabbest of winter outfits.

“”A lot of tights have been really popular for girls this year,”” Strocsher said.

Tights or leggings in bright colors, like yellow or orange, look great when coupled with otherwise monochromatic outfits.

The key to this look is to keep the rest of the outfit simple: Try mixing a pair of purple tights with a black wool miniskirt and a matching pea coat and boots. This straight-off-the runway combination will keep you warm and looking chic – and you won’t even have to think about bumming around campus in sweats.