On the road again

Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Arizona Daily Wildcat

After a successful performance at the Jim Click Shootout last weekend, the Arizona track and field team will aim to carry that momentum into the weekend, when it splits up and heads to California for the UCLA Rafer Johnson/JJK Invitational, Tempe for the Sun Angel Classic and Mesa for the Mesa Classic.

The Wildcats’ showing at the Jim Click Shootout catapulted the Women’s team up 15 spots to 17th in the nation, while the men improved 36 spots and are now ranked 77th.

Both teams are on the rise. The men will get some help in the form of freshman high jumper, Nick Ross, who will be competing for the first time this season.

“”This is my first week back since the (knee) surgery, and it felt better. We’ll see how it holds out this weekend,”” Ross said. “”This is my third week out of surgery, and I’ve been in rehab all three weeks.””

Ross isn’t expected to make a big dent in the men’s score, but his return is an added bonus, nonetheless.

The team is excited to hit the road again and expects results because of it.

“”I feel like it’ll be a lot better since it’s an away meet. It feels more official,”” said redshirt sophomore Echos Blevins. “”A home meet feels more like practice to me.””

Blevins will be headed to UCLA and will be competing in the 400-meter, 200-meter and the 4×400-meter relay.

Four Arizona athletes will be heading to Tempe for the Sun Angel Classic and Mesa for the Mesa Classic. Freshman Ariel Coleman and sophomores Rebecca Nelson and Jordan Ronstadt will be competing in the women’s 400m hurdles at both meets. Coleman will also be competing in the 100m hurdles at both tracks.

Freshman Jake Harris will be competing in the men’s 110m hurdles at Sun Angel, while freshman Michael Ness will be competing in the men’s 400m at the Mesa Classic. Freshman Tara Besancon will be competing in the women’s high jump in Mesa.

The distance squad won’t be traveling this weekend in order to prepare themselves for Mt. Sac next week.