Clubs use carnival for fun, funding

Stewart McClintic
Stewart McClintic/ Daily Wildcat Spring Fling is the largest student run carnival in the nation which raises money to help fund University of Arizona clubs. The event is now in it’s 38th year and costs around $100,000 to run. (Photograph by Stewart McClintic)

In its 38th year, Spring Fling drew 20,000 people, reaffirming its role as a substantial fundraiser for university clubs.

Spring Fling is the largest student-run carnival in the nation, according to organizers in the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. The carnival raised about $100,000 as it normally does each year, and the money that did not go to operating expenses went to various student clubs, said Brittany Steinke, the event’s executive director and a history senior.

“It’s the biggest event the UA has and for most of the clubs, this is the money they really get for the year,” Steinke said. “Without this event, a lot of clubs would have zero funding.”

In addition to receiving funds from the carnival’s general admission cost, all of the participating student clubs and organizations got to keep profits from their individual booths.

Clubs ran booths that offered games or snacks like crab puffs and corn dogs. Student club members ran everything except the rides, which were run by an external company for safety purposes, Steinke said.

This year’s Spring Fling saw the introduction of four stations where credit cards could be used to purchase ride and event tickets. In the past, carnival-goers could only use cash, Steinke said. This year’s Spring Fling also had more corporate sponsors and better live performances, including a 1980s cover band, she added.

Although the event raised funds through its $5 admission cost, UA students were able to attend for free with their CatCards. Military personnel were also able to enter the carnival free of charge with proper ID.

In total, about 20,000 people went to Spring Fling. Many students came to support their respective clubs, and members of the Tucson community partook in the fun as well.

Jere Voigt, a Tucsonan who attended the event with her family, walked out of the event with a huge smile on her face as she held a stuffed tiger.

“We had a wonderful evening,” she said. “It’s a really great event and I know it does a lot of good for the university. It’s a great place to bring family and children.”

ASUA President James Allen bungee jumped at the carnival in front of his staff, a tradition that the president participates in every Spring Fling. This is Allen’s favorite part of the event, he said.

“Spring Fling represents the best aspects of student and community partnerships,” he said. “Most importantly, it provides numerous fundraising opportunities for UA clubs and organizations.”