Turning Point USA holds small rally on UA campus, Charlie Kirk to speak Monday

Kate Ewing
The University of Arizona Administration building is located on campus, just east of the Student Union Memorial Center.

Turning Point USA held a small rally near the University of Arizona Administration Building on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

The rally was held from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and was titled the “Citizens For Medical Freedom Rally.”

A post promoting the rally was posted on the organization’s UA chapter Instagram prior to the event. The post has since been removed from their Instagram. 

A screenshot of an instagram post from the University of Arizona chapter of Turning Point USA. The post advertised the "Citizens for Medical Freedom Rally," which was held in front of the Administration Building on Nov. 9, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
A screenshot of an instagram post from the University of Arizona chapter of Turning Point USA. The post advertised the “Citizens for Medical Freedom Rally,” which was held in front of the Administration Building on Nov. 9, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

There were six protesters present in the free speech zone holding signs that toted phrases including “COVID-1984” and “Let’s Go Brandon.”

Protester Nicole Williams said that Turning Point’s UA chapter was protesting masks and vaccine mandates being enforced on the federal and institutional level.

“‘Flatten the curve’ turned into two years,” Williams said, explaining how the protesters believe that the government has been abusing their power by issuing these mandates to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Williams further stated the protestors were receiving an overwhelmingly positive response from passersby. She said that there was the occasional heckler that yelled “fuck you,” but believed that response is common for most movements regardless of the cause.

Williams said that some individuals were afraid to stand with them but showed their support verbally and told the group of picketers they were glad that they were there.

A photo of a poster advertising a Turning Point USA speaking engagement featuring Charlie Kirk, which will take place on Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. on the University of Arizona campus, though it is unclear where specifically the event will take place. The poster was handed out during a Turning Point rally on Nov. 9 in front of the Administration Building.

Kenna Deters, a field representative for Turning Point, was handing out flyers for an event featuring Charlie Kirk, which will take place on Monday, Nov. 15, at 7 p.m. Deters mentioned that mask and vaccine mandates would be addressed at the Kirk event being held at the Tucson Marriott University Park.

Follow Kate Ewing on Twitter